Prince Harry (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Too valuable to risk ?
I think the service bit is very selective as he is never going to be one of the lads...

we all know that and probably all agree, but dont want to be fed Bull from MOD that he is a normal member of the armed forces !
but is hardly ever there, though he has been in the danger zone and he gets my utmost respect for that and seems to be able to pick and choose any job he want as well.

can you tell i am not a royalist ?????

John, I believe that if you come for a visit, you will find that while we are most interested to meet a (pardon the expression) "Limey", we have no interest in becoming one. I believe that you will find your basic Canadian fiercely independant also. We are well aware of where our roots lie, but really don't want to dig them up.
And I, like Matt, am of German extraction, both sets of Grandparents arrived in this country from the late 1890's to the early 1910's, but I would swear no allegience to a Kaiser, were one to be re-instated.
(Well, maybe just a little.)

Paul, you are quite right and if were you I wouldn't want too either.

The one thing about being English is that we have nicknames all around the world.
Alternative names for the British - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whether some of these are affectionate is up for debate haha...do we give a flying ****? Naah.

None of us know about Prince Harry but I did meet Prince Charles when he was in the Navy. His Wessex had been forced to land in Wales when on exercise. We were on an outward bound training week nothing to do with the formal exercise and as we drove over the moors he was at the side of the road with one of the crew waiting for the engineers to turn up. All I can say is that he was a covered in oil as the other guy as they had tried to fix an oil leak. The pair of them were waited in the back of the truck out of the rain with the rest of us, until the ground crew turned up.
He was happy to talk, noticed that I wasn't wearing standard issue kit and had a brief conversation as to why I had chosen to wear some civilian clothing. I was only an apprentice articifer at the time and was pretty overwhelmed

Last edited:
Harry seems like a nice enough guy. I believe he's over here pushing a charity to disarm landmines - IIRC the radio said it was started by his mother. He was visiting some of our wounded vets in the hospitals over here so I have to respect that man for that.

On a side note, Island Apes??? Where the heck did that one come from?

I have to ask, is Limey considered an offensive nick name today?

Dont remember voting for him?

In my view a dynastic form of government is no place in a democratic society.

A brain surgeon qualifications are not purely based on his daddy.

I have no ill towards him but I dont bend the knee for him. I ain't no peasant.

On a side note, Island Apes??? Where the heck did that one come from?

I have to ask, is Limey considered an offensive nick name today?

'Limey' is not offensive. Its looked at like the Aussie 'Pom' nickname. A nickname nothing more... The French call us RoastBeef ..they think its hilarious :)

Can I ask if the term Yank is considered offensive in the States?

Dont remember voting for him?

In my view a dynastic form of government is no place in a democratic society.

A brain surgeon qualifications are not purely based on his daddy.

I have no ill towards him but I dont bend the knee for him. I ain't no peasant.

I see your point, if we were in the civil war I wouldn't be a Royalist :)
However, I did enjoy the Jubilee last year all the pomp ceremony. It gave me my family a feeling of being proud to be British. The high point was the BoBMF flyover. The thunder of Merlins echoing across the capital, the cheers of the crowd...brilliant.
QE2 has my respect. The other royals don't.

When did a bunch a high born toffs make it good to be British?

I love the Spitfire/merlin combination as much as the next guy but this royal family biz gets my goat

They have no earned nothing. Not deserved nothing. Simply the lottery of birth. I find it odd that the Yankee Doodles seem to like him. I though the revolution was to rid themselves of monarchy and patronage and upper class twerps.

Prince Harry is a BOSS! I'll never forget that he went against his parents wishes and managed to get on the frontlines! "F--k the Queen, I'm going hunting!".
You just don't think about people of his stature trying to get their hands dirty or risk their lives.

When did a bunch a high born toffs make it good to be British?

I love the Spitfire/merlin combination as much as the next guy but this royal family biz gets my goat

They have no earned nothing. Not deserved nothing. Simply the lottery of birth. I find it odd that the Yankee Doodles seem to like him. I though the revolution was to rid themselves of monarchy and patronage and upper class twerps.

London on the Jubilee weekend was a good place to be Basket. Maybe it wasn't just about the Queen. More about the people of Britain. I have never been in such a large crowd in my life and the atmosphere was good natured and Britain welcomed people from all the world too.
QE2 has done good job and is the last of the line of old skool Monarchs.
Her children grandchildren are not in the same league and I shall not be celebrating Prince Charles's accession to the throne.

Prince Harry is a BOSS! I'll never forget that he went against his parents wishes and managed to get on the frontlines! "F--k the Queen, I'm going hunting!".
You just don't think about people of his stature trying to get their hands dirty or risk their lives.

What are you talking about?
Harry getting his hands dirty? He has a man to do that sort of thing.
He is a high spirited young man and if he wasn't Diana's son he wouldn't be in the press for his ill conceived pranks.
Harry doesn't seem to realise that he is never ever going to be one of the lads...

I may be in a minority of one but have confidence that Charles will be an effective Monarch and William will follow in that pattern. Harry is the youngest and doesn't deserve some of the comments that have come his way.

In every nation in the world there are sons of wealthy/powerful men. Harry didn't have to join the armed forces and didn't have to serve in the front line as an infantry unit then, as a gunner in the Apache. If you believe that he wouldn't serve in the front line should the threat to helicopters be greater you should note that Prince Andrew served in the Falklands taking his chances like any other helicopter pilot.

Its worth remembering that Charles himself flew Wessex V in the Commando assult role as well as on board ship.

Can anyone name any rich / famous family of any nation where most of their children serve in the front line?

Last edited:
And I have an absolute respect for him. He comes from a military family where the traditions were high, but no one would talk of him or his family in these terms.
I think I am right is saying that his son also fly's the Apache.

For those who knock Harry or anyone else you have to earn your position in the armed forces. The UK and USA don't let people fly machines such as the Apache because of who your parents are.

Is in America as a member of the royal family or a pilot?

I do not cinsider willing subjugation to a stupid class ridden outdated medievel feudal system the height of joy.

Is in America as a member of the royal family or a pilot?

I do not cinsider willing subjugation to a stupid class ridden outdated medievel feudal system the height of joy.

You are of course allowed your view. All I was pointing out was that he being born into a family which has influence and power didn't have to put himself into the front line. Any major organisation would have given him a well paid post and he could have enjoyed himself without the publicity. But Harry didn't he went out of his way to serve on the front line and for that at least he deserve some acknowledgement.

As far as I am aware he has never asked for anything from anyone apart from those tasks that result from him being an officer in the army.

I also highlighted that he didn't get his role in the Apache by being a mummys boy, but by being good enough and that is the measure of anyone including him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back