Prince Harry

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Who turned into a pseudo-dictator who was so disliked by the people that they decided they wanted the monarchy reinstated. Hardly a glowing endorsement!

Cromwell had his strongholds though Plymouth was one of them.
Where else are the guns on the Royal Citadel pointed towards the city?
Freedom Fields also meant freedom from the monarchy.
However, like a lot of events we argue about it was a long time ago...

Not arguing...just pointing out that Cromwell was not a paragon of virtue. I probably should have added a smiley after my last post - it was intended in jest (a bit! :) ).

I know you were joking...so, was I. The joke about the Citadel makes us Plymothians laugh.
Argue ? us....nooooooooo. hahahaha.
I'm having a break from that :)

No you're not! Would you like the 15-minute argument or the full half-hour? :)

Actually, most keeps located within towns and cities would have had guns pointing at the populace the keep was designed to protect. Fact of life, I'm afraid, that innocents always get caught in the crossfire.

Personally, I always liked Plymouth...something akin to an upper-class version of Portsmouth.

I'll get me coat! :)

That's because you don't spell it correctly - it's humour! (Sorry, couldn't resist...you have to admit you left a pretty open target on that one!) :)

I would offer to explain but somehow that always fails to result in mirth just more confused headshaking. Methinks I'll quit while I'm ahead...or behind...whatever!

Ginger is a regressive gene in the Windsors apparently

Shouldn't that be the Saxe-Coburg Gothas?

The Royal Family has to be the biggest tourist dollar spinner in Britain. Other than old churches, old airfields and old aeroplanes, what else would people go to the UK for if not to 'experience' the Royal Family and buy a tacky trinket to take home?

The English revolution happened far too soon and Cromwell was not the man for the job. Like all revolutions, it was about ideas but it was won by the army so the army ruled. Remember the New Model Army was the first fully proffesional trained army since the Romans in the British Isles.

Cromwell was a conservative landowner who was part of the Puritans who also landed at plymouth rock. The Puritans escaped England because there wasnt enough religeous intolerance. :p

Cromwell was not a revolutionary and the only thing he knew was being a puritan. Closing down pubs and banning Christmas made him as popular as the plague but by jingo England was a powerful military state. He botched his succession and it was all over.
Puritans were a very small minority but they were very active politically, well connected and wealthy. they were a powerful group of extreme God botherers.
But what did Charles 2 have to offer? nothing except the paint of Kingship. I find it bizarre that Charles 2 came back. Here king is you throne and our sincere apologies for beheading your daddy.

No you're not! Would you like the 15-minute argument or the full half-hour? :)

Actually, most keeps located within towns and cities would have had guns pointing at the populace the keep was designed to protect. Fact of life, I'm afraid, that innocents always get caught in the crossfire.

Personally, I always liked Plymouth...something akin to an upper-class version of Portsmouth.

The full hour argument plus an argument in my own time please :)
Now Pompey are in league 2 we have the dockyard derbies to look forward...
Fancy popping over to see the fun?

Shouldn't that be the Saxe-Coburg Gothas?

The Royal Family has to be the biggest tourist dollar spinner in Britain. Other than old churches, old airfields and old aeroplanes, what else would people go to the UK for if not to 'experience' the Royal Family and buy a tacky trinket to take home?

Saxe- Coburg Gothas? Major Hewitt more like Nuuumannn :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back