Recently returned to Hobby

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

hawkeye2an

Staff Sergeant
Mar 18, 2009
St Joseph, Missouri
I too have recently returned to the hobby. For various reasons (frustrated with local club members' "know it all attitude" and little HELPFUL INFO, moving about the midwest, taking care of my wife's failing health etc, etc, ETC.) about 15 years ago I left, sold my kit collection down to about 20 kits and boxed everything else up. I am now back into building JUST FOR ME. I do go to the occasional club meeting and have decided to only listen to those that have helpful suggestions and ignoring everything else, including ALL the politics. I guess it took me until 52 years old to finally grow up. Having said that, I still like to PLAY WITH MY TOYS !!
I have built all the P-51s and Me/Bf-109s I care to. Now I am interested in building some of the OTHER airplanes flown by the USAAF/USAF. Designations like OA-, L-, UC-, are my current interests. This means conversions and scratchbuilding. I have made a vac machine and carve wood for patterns. Conversions so far: Lockheed Vega/UC-101. Stinson Reliant/UC-81, Beech Staggerwing/UC-43. On the workbench: Howard DGA-15/UC-70 scratchbuild, Ercoupe w/JATO! and Stinson Voyager/L-10. I work in 1/48 exclusively. I would be interested in any help with scratchbuiding tips and reference materials.

Welcome to the forum!!! Check out the modelling section as there are a few members with experience with different types of models. Oh, and maybe join in a Group Build!!

Hi and welcome from England. I know exactly what you mean about the attitudes of some 'club' members - that's why I stopped going nearly thirty years ago! I think you'll find things a lot different here, and not just in the modelling section - lot's of true expertise and friendly help and encouragement from some of the best people I 'know'.

Welcome Hawkeye. I turned 51 this year and also picked up the hobby again a few years ago after many years busy with other things like getting married, managing career, and raising kids. Looking forward to your work!

You guys are making me feel old again. 66 and getting back into it! G'day from a U.S. expat down unda. You will enjoy participating on this site. There is a wealth of information from around the globe in here. I am building a 1/48th Tamiya P-51D what races in Reno that I also happened to do the nose art on when sign painting in California, Merlin's Magic. Then I will be doing the same plane in 1/32nd, but only when I finish the first! Meanwhile I am doing some 1/72nds of early U.S.S. Yorktown CV-5 CV10 WWII aircraft up to the F9F just to keep me Finishing something. My signature includes Merlin" Magic. Enjoy the site mate! cheers, Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back