Super Detailing S.E.5 Guillow's model

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank you sir. I'm waving back. Nice to know we're both online communicating "live" right now. I'm getting ready to work when I stopped to check the site. I do this first thing every morning.

Somehow, I feel we've finally "connected" to communicate each other at the same time. Good to know.

As you were getting ready for dinner, I was getting up and ready to go to work. It was about 4:45 in the morning Pacific Standard Time. :

Papa and Gnomey,

I wished to take a moment to acknowledge your compliments and to extend my "Thanks " to you,. It is really appreciated.

Please excuse the delay in posting for the week. I'm attending the famous Reno air races and many obligations in family as well. I'll keep you updated. If anyone wishes for me to take photos of any special racer, please let me know.

Crimea,

Good afternoon and thank you for your comments. It's greatly appreciated. I'm about to resume more postings of the S.E.5. Just attended the air races here in Reno, Nevada and was honored to meet THE last surviving Tuskegee pilot. His name is Lt. Bob Friend. I'm posting a picture of him. Hope you don't mind this. They also had a beautiful P-51D Mustang in highly polished natural metal with red tail feathers and his name on the canopy frame.

Attachments

• Bob Friend.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 39
Wurger,

Good afternoon and thank you! It was a pleasure to share with you this picture.

Sincerely,

Skye

Now comes the part where I'm sure everyone is curious as to how I managed the stitching of the fuselage without actually using the needle to thread through the balsa wood. I thought it might be a good idea to show (again) that practice on a piece of scrap or proof-of-concept small section of the fuselage would be a good idea. As you can see from the second picture, I tried various ways of stitching. In this 2nd picture, if you look closely at the top stitching, I even tried using tiny beads as "eyelets" for the stitching just like the real S.E.5. I could do this, but I felt it was getting too much detail and becoming more of a distraction rather than an asset. So, I eliminated the brass beads. I also tried using stitching on the workboard and then glue the results to the fuselage, again, that did not work out very well either. I was concerned at using a needle to actually thread the stitching because I was worried that I might break the balsa sheet with the force of the needle penetrating the wood as well as trying to "grope" my way around the small confines of the inside of the fuselage to thread the needle back out. Finally, I hit upon an idea that just "clicked" and made sense. I'm going to recreate my idea today in the workshop and then take a series of pictures to present them to you. It is this area, that I forgot to take pictures while I was so preoccupied with the stitching method.

Attachments

• S.E. 5 reduced # 218.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 62
  • SE5 # 12.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7359.JPG
    286.1 KB · Views: 72
Sancer, Viking, Wurger,& Gnomey, I'm honored of your appraisals and approvals. It's greatly appreciated by all. I'm aware that many of you are truly knowledgeable in aviation in general and modeling in particular and to have earned your respect is a great tribute. Thank you very much! Mr. Viking, I like your Martin B-10 picture. Very nice. There are several other modelers on another site who are anxiously waiting for a B-10 to be kitted with (I think) a 10-foot wingspan for R/C. I think it will be some time next year.

I truly hope I do not disappoint anyone on this site. You are all incredible people. It's a great honor to be accepted. Thank you. If I may, I'd like to reveal my way of doing the stitching on the S.E.5 fuselage without using a needle. For this demonstration, I took fresh pictures of the scratched out fuselage section that I used for practice.

**Special note: During construction, I purposely left the bottom of the fuselage exposed until everything else was complete. This allows me access to the interior for last-minute additions or corrections. I knew that once the bottom of the fuselage was sealed, that there would be no way for me to access to the interior. This helped to play out a very important role in my ability to stitch the sides of the fuselage without having to use force of a needle.

Users who are viewing this thread