THE UPDATED FUTURE GROUP BUILDS POLL....

The Next 5 Group Builds Should Be???

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My first choice would be a B-17b in a 30's war game paint of blue, purple and green. I found a B-17 c/d model but the b is out of production.

DBII

Absolutely imalko, neutral countries are welcome too in the Cold War GB...

Great! Thanks Jan, that was the answer I was hoping for.
Reason why I've asked is because I have idea to build models of aircraft which were in some way connected to Yugoslavia in every GB where something like that is possible. Looking at the list of proposed Group Builds, something like that is doable only in case of Mediterranean/N. Africa, "Heavies" and Cold War Group builds.
For example, in "Heavies" GB both B-17 and B-24 comes in consideration (one B-17 was flown in 1945 with Partisan red star markings while four B-24 were flown in USAAF with Yugoslav crews from former Royal Yugoslav AF). For MTO/NA GB there are Spitfires and Hurricanes of No 351 and 352 (Yugoslav) Squadrons RAF. But by far the greatest choice of potential models would be precisely for Cold War GB: Bf 109, Spitfire, Hurricane, P-47, Mosquito, Ikarus S-49, Jak-3, Il-2 (in late fourties-early fifties), Thunderjet, Sabre, MiG-21, G-2 Galeb, J-21 Jastreb, etc (for later years). All this aircraft flew with Yugoslav insignia at one time or another during Cold War period.

Last edited:
Curse this model bug. I cannot make up my mind. The last thing I wanted to build for the heavy GB was a B-24. I was trying to find info about by great uncle's unit and found this site. Now I am thinking about building the Bettie B from the 13th AF.

Oklahoman-Times article, March 18, 1944, Lt Faucette was rated the "top Liberator pilot" in the Thirteenth Air Force, with more than 500 cmbt hrs. The crew received a total of 83 decorations and is credited with downing 12 Zeros during 53 bombing missions, plus many search missions...On her last mission, Aug 30, 1944, after wrecking devastation on Bougainville, she actually turned back to drop a life raft for another bomber which had crash landed at sea. During the rescue mission, Billie B was jumped by more than 30 Zeros. Faucette dived for the water and flew so low, the Japanese couldn't get beneath. Before the Zeros quit, the crew shot down seven of them. Only two airmen were injured. Tailgunner S/Sgt. Donald O. Harrison, was shot in the stomach during the attack. He was reloading when the Zeros gave up. S/Sgt Ray McDonough was wounded in the right hand, but he soon recovered and rejoined the crew. The plane never lost a crew during her mission.

The history of the plane and it's two crew can be found here.
WW II Commemorative - 13th AF Long Rangers

DBII

I am a little confused, when does the GB for Kursk and D DAy begin? I am looking for a Russian M3 Lee and I found a
Spitfire Vb for only $10.00 US.

DBII

The 'D- Day stripes' GB begins on February 1st and ends on May 31st. (note that the current 'Bombers/ Heavy Hitters GB ends on Feb 28th.)
The Kursk Armour GB is a parallel build, alongside the 'Cold War' GB, which begins on May 1st, ending on August 30th.
I'll post a separate note soon, covering up-coming builds and themes etc.

Sounds good Karl. I think I'll just do one small one, sometime in mid GB, as I want to get on with the JU88 for Czech museum, and a few other things too. Not sure what to do yet, but it might be one of only two particular RAF Mustang IIIs, or maybe another Typhoon, the old Monogram one this time.
BTW, has a decision been made if, or when, the Korean War GB might be?? It's just that, for the Cold War, I might do a Sea Fury as one of the entries, but I'd rather save it for the Korean, if it's happening.

Looks like it's gonna be a full squadron of Typhoons in D-Day GB. I'm inclined to build one myself in 1/72 scale of course. Probably an Academy kit...

Planned Builds:

D-Day/Invasion Stripes June 6th
- B-26 Marauder 1/72 Hasegawa
- P-51D 1/72 Tamiya

For the future - Tentative Builds:

Cold War Protagonists '49- '89 - at least three from the following list (all 1/72)
- F-8 Crusader (Academy)
- A-7 Corsair (Hobby Boss)
- A-37 Dragonfly (Academy)
- F-14A Tomcat (Hasegawa)
- AD6 Skyraider (Hasegawa)

I have NO idea what I will do for the BoB build - maybe a D-17K

Some nice stuff there Dwight, should be good. Like you, I haven't a clue what to do for the BoB. I was thinking of a Do17Z, 1/48th scale, and maybe a He111 in the same scale (if Revell re-release it), to accompany the Bf109 and Ju88A5 I already have. But the there's the new 1/32nd scale Hurricane coming from PCM, and, of course, the massive He111 in 1/32nd from Guttorm's friends at Revell Germany. I think for the Cold War, it'll definitely be a natural metal Mig 21, maybe similar in a Mig17, both 1/48th, and, if the Korean War GB isn't happening, a 1/48th Sea Fury. I also fancy doing a 1/48th A26 Invader, again Korean period, but I'll need to start removing a few bricks from a wall, as I'm getting desperately short of display space!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back