UK forum members social event? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Been talking to Jan about this. In the past, a small number of forum members have been able to meet at a Museum for a day, and we thought it might be a good idea to organise a similar event, on a slightly larger scale, with an overnight stay in a suitable hotel/pub, near whichever museum, in order to enjoy a few scoops and have a laugh ... er ... chat.
I'm thinking that maybe a date in late summer, say September, could be a good starting point, possibly at Duxford, and, if this eventually becomes an annual event, other museums/sites of interest could be visited also.
It might even be possible to arrange 'bespoke' visits, with privileged access, in some cases.
If there are any UK members interested in this, or indeed any forum members, wherever in the world, then let's have your views.

Don't really think so Dave. Those stalwarts who regularly attend air shows probably have little interest in attending a crowded, over-priced, over-hyped athletics event! And I think that, by September, the Olympics will all be over like a wedding!
My idea is to attend a museum or similar, rather than an actual air show, in order to be able to see and experience the aircraft and other exhibits without the crowds around - especially the 'Mum, Dad and 2.5 kids' who are just there for a 'day out'.
Some of the UK museums really require more than a full day to see everything properly, so it might be an idea to arrive in the area on, say, a Friday evening, allowing a full day at the selected venue on the Saturday, and the 'social' event on the Saturday evening. This would allow plenty of time for travel to the venue on Friday, and home on Sunday, with an average travel time, depending on location, being about three hours each way for all concerned. Could also allow European or North American members to attend relatively conveniently, if they wish to come.
Bear in mind that, given a reasonable 'turn out', hotel prices could be favourable, with a block booking, especially if, like most hotels, they operate a cheaper 'weekend rate'.

good call Terry i'd be interested in meeting at events if i'm not working,its nice to meet up with like minded people for a change,maybe we could get a local group meets started once monthly for those who live in the same area

I was thinking that the influx of people from all over the world would impact transportation and lodging, no matter though, it's a great idea and a great excuse for forum members to get together.

There is a remote chance I might be heading to Europe this summer, so if things work out well enough, I'll try and join in :)

Don't worry Dave, we have a couple of hotels in the UK, and, at the last count, two buses, plus a spare in the garage (if it still works)!!

lmao Terry!

I remember how we were inundated in the SoCal area during the '84 Olympics in Los Angeles. What a freakin' mess :/

It's so much nicer when they're hosted by a distant country, and you can watch 'em from the luxury of your living room! :evil4:

But just a head's up, you might want to roll that spare bus out of the garage, you're probably gonna need it...

I've wanted to do something similar here on the East Coast after Charles, TO and myself met in 2008 and B-17Engineer and TO and myself met in 2010. I'm sure we can get some from the lower East Coast states to meet around here sometime. I hope you guys do it. AND TAKE PICS!! :)

My wife and I were just talking about a trip over there next summer, went and applied for our passports even, so if it gets carried over to next year I might be able to arrange things so I can make it then.

I'll let him know when he eventually gets to my place tomorrow evening - via London.

Great idea Terry. Mentioned it to the old girl and she was straight into looking at flights. Can't promise anything this year but I'm with Glenn on the possibility of next year.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back