USN VCS-7 Spitfire Mk Vb

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Light sea grey could be correct. It's darker than Medium Sea Grey (underside colour) and lighter than Ocen, or Dark Sea Grey. Just add white to make Medium sea Grey!
The voltage regulator was in two forms. One looked like a smaller version of the head rest, the other, later type was like two cans of beans, one on top of the other, mounted transversely across the bulkhead frame. Former was black, latter was bare metal (silver grey).
Hope you can get some pics at the museum!

I did not make the museum this trip. The museum is only open in Saturday and closes at 4. My work day ended at 4:30 and I was an hout away :cry: I will be back in September. I will try again then.

DBII

I found this.
Postscript. A VCS-7 pilot, ENS Adams (also pictured here ), was the first Naval Aviator to land in France when he landed his damaged Spitfire at an auxiliary landing field in France.

Attachments

• cvs-7.jpg
    cvs-7.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
This is my favorite VCS-7 photo. Back to back medical problems, minor stuff but I have not felt like working the past 3 weeks. I stop off and picked up the correct color of paint last night and attached the wings. I would like to get started painting over the weekend. It appears that the black strip on the photo above is larger than the other stripes. I have noticed the same thing on some other planes. Does anyone know if this was the result of a rush paint job or if this was done to id the planes as spotters?

DBII

If you mean the black AEAF stripe aft of the roundel, then it's more or less normal. Each stripe was supposed to be 18 inches wide, but bearing in mind these were applied, normally by brush (sometimes a yard brush or broom!), and by whoever was avialable to do the job, then absolute accuracy and symmetry was asking a bit much!
What is slightly unusual though, the aircraft appears to lack the 'Sky' tailband of RAF Day Fighters, in which colour scheme it is finished, on loan to the US Navy. Unless of course (not having checked before replying) the aircraft came from the Royal Navy, but then it would have more likely been a Seafire.

Thanks. There were some seafires in the pool. From what I have been able to find, the USN may have flew the Seafire but not the P-51B that were availible. I did see one Spitfire that had the tailband. It the band sky or white?

DBII

I hate white paint! I stripped it of this morning. I think I will see if I can get the airbrush to work. I tried severl thin coats and it looked pretty sad for even one of my planes. Any suggestions.

DBII

White, especially in small areas, is a real pain! Painting the spinner on my Mustang is holding up the whole job, as it's white, and doing the ususl streak/lump/bump etc. All I can suggest is to build up thin or fine coats, preferably with the airbrush. But! If it's for the AEAF stripes, I wouldn't be too concerned about the overall surface finish, as even those stripes which were applied meticulously weren't perfect when viewed close up, due to the type of washable, temporary 'paint' used.
If you're really having great problems, then try laying a base coat of matt white, then, when totally dry, one or two coats (if needed) of gloss white.

Thanks for the help. I just read through your build and the other Spitefire. I am not working the next two nights. I will try and get the airbrush to work. I want to get this finished so I can get back to work on my F-5.

I had a little free time before work this morning. I had to fill in a seam and I manage to repaint the white. I used a new bottle of white and it worked much better. I hope to have most of the painting done by Monday. I will post photos if I can get to the college Sunday. The digital camera does not hide any of the problem areas.

DBII

Users who are viewing this thread

Back