„Volksjäger“ (people fighter) Heinkel He 162 in 1:32 scale

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

More parts of the kit had to be detailed or new ones scratched.
In the Revell kit only one weapons bay is foreseen for opening. I did both weapons bay doors from sheet.
Left are the kit parts, right the new ones primed with RLM 02..

2aqpkz.jpg

The main landing gear doors are from the kit after doing some shape and structure corrections. Revell made the edges who face the fuselage center rounded in reality they have to be straight.

2lllnko.jpg

This cover for the main landing gear had to made new. Compare it with the kit part.

w9xm6a.jpg

The door for the front wheel well. The kit door is a good rendering for the real part, The only thing I did was deepening the small holes on the outside. The first kit part I could use with just a tiny modification, "Hallelujah"!.

2eb73vd.jpg

The inner covers for the jet engine were only marginal modified just erasing the false structures and adding new ones With strips. The rivets are made with my home made tool again.

mws078.jpg

The parts after painting:

4drnr.jpg

The nose cone with all inner details. The next part which is ready for installing.

10zxvr4.gif

Next was painting the sub assemblies. A light gray enamel primer coat was followed by black preshading. Than I sprayed the base camouflage colors with acrylics. This mixes were unlighted for more shading. I hope I got a slightly weathered effect. Where the upper colors meet the RLM 76 I used pending masking to get softer color edges.

Before decaling I sprayed a sealing coat of future. For down toning the decals and blending them in with the model I brush painted a very light coat of the appropriate camouflage color on to them. Than came Future again, slight sanding and more Future. I repeated this several times to to make the borders of the decals invisible. I weathered the kit with tube watercolors and finally sealed it with an appropriate mix of Future and Tamiya flat base.
Here some impressions:

24q4oye.jpg

Some more:

znn96g.jpg

The completed empennage:

2958kti.jpg

The Heinkel gets the guns.
The weapons bay:
these parts were completely scratch build because Revell only shows one bay open.. Again the French plane was my pattern. I'm not too sure about the right colors of these parts ofW.Nr.100172 but I had to decide this anyway.
The walls are plastic sheet and dry fitted to the fuselage.

2wlxzj9.jpg

Next I covered the plastic with aluminum foil. I had decided to show the bay in a natural metal look. I used self adhesive foil from the hardware store which is used for upgrading the attic. Slight sanding toned down the high polished surface of the foil.

ng4i9v.jpg

The construction of the inner fittings:
The parts of the ammo feeds and the shell ejection were made from 0,2 mm plastic sheet. I think this are adequate renderings of the originals which were crudely welded from metal sheet. Specially the left weapons bay got my attention because the MG 151 there will be shown dismounted.

f3f4np.jpg

Some more details:

szkjcz.gif

I completely scratched the MG 151s. On the right side I'll show the cannon mounted into the bay so I don't need a complete barrel. The MG 151 of the left side will be shown dismounted for maintenance so I had to do a little more there.

16h291g.jpg

The dismounted gun colored with electric wiring added:

5nvy46.jpg

The oxygen adapter:

1zxktw9.jpg

All parts except the left gun are ready tom be installed:

2wexoas.jpg

Some pictures of the final result:
The left side. The wiring is made from copper wire.

jacacy.jpg

The right side is left without gun.

11vs9j4.jpg

I personally have never come across a build with such attention to detail and build quality. All the superlatives to describe it have already been used by other contributors so there's nothing more I can add, except to say that the build both inspires and depresses me - Inspirational in what can be achieved by someone with such skills and depressing, because no matter how long I might try, I don't believe I will ever be able to match this level of expertise. It's a privilege to be allowed share in the experience. :)

The bay of the main under carriage:
Because the plane will be part of a diorama which shows the plane mounted on jacks you will not see too much of the bay so I thought to do only minor detailing. When I finished I had done far more. The pics of the original showed so much details and so much flaws in the kit that I couldn't resist to remedy the worst.
The front bulkhead has integrally cast details which I didn't like. I turned it around and built new structures of my own on the backside.

neu-1-1.png

The rearmost bulkhead was changed according to original Pictures. The Revell part has complete different structures. Though there is the slight possibility of the existence of different parts on the real thing I preferred this. The altered part is shown colored in RLM 02.

76364041gk9.jpg

Let's have a look at the real thing:

neu-2.png

neu-3.png

Next was the bottom of the bay. All integrally cast wiring was erased. Part of the bottom was cut off to get access to the false details.. New structures were built on a replacement part.

neu-4.png

More details:

neu-5.png

Sketching the new bottom part on plastic sheet:

29846992ev0.jpg

Next came the undercarriage legs:

26977297xu4.jpg

The inner parts of the scissors were cut out and new parts built out of sheet to get a more realistic look.

92680300wb7.jpg

The spring legs are a disaster to say the least. I did new ones from strip and rod.
Here the original kit part: :killerheadache:

10gp4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back