Western Canadian Regional Model Contest (2012)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

very nice though a little bright i think

Could be my pics Karl. The lighting was awful and I had to Photoshop them a tad.

Silver went to this Eduard P-39...

Eduard P39 Silver.jpg

... and bronze to this one of 3 Tamiya Spit V's in this category

Tamiya Spitfire Vb YOA.jpg

Last edited:
Some nice ones there Andy. I wonder if the Spit was done from actual references - the green at the cockpit area, if applied as per the AM Directive, should extend to just aft of the cockpit. Just noticed the antenna post on the rudder too - that would normally be deleted, as VHF radio was fitted, so no wire.

Some nice ones there Andy. I wonder if the Spit was done from actual references - the green at the cockpit area, if applied as per the AM Directive, should extend to just aft of the cockpit. Just noticed the antenna post on the rudder too - that would normally be deleted, as VHF radio was fitted, so no wire.

Here are 2 pics of YO-A Terry, from "Spitfire - The Canadians" by Robert Bracken. Looks like the green is accurate around the canopy but a little off at the rear of the fuselage roundel. Note also extensive wear on the wing root.

Spit V YO_A EN921 401 Sqdn Jack Sheppard 2.jpg

Spit V YO_A EN921 401 Sqdn Jack Sheppard 1.jpg

Thanks Andy. Thought there must have been some basis for the non-standard pattern - guess it had a re-paint at some time m aybe. Interesting how the tones have changed in the first pic, due to Ortho film, particularly the way the light makes the windscreen frame look a different colour. A nightmare for those not familiar with photo interpretation.
In fact, in the second pic, the pattern actually looks different - note what appears to be the green below the 'Y' of the code, meeting in a 'V' shape, and how it appears to be now extended to the windscreen and up to the hatch at least. Unless it's a different aircraft - it's got an internal armoured screen, whereas it's external in the first pic ..... but of course this may have been retro-fitted.

I agree on all counts. Didn't notice the Hurri wheels. I wonder if they are installed backwards?

not sure about the Hurricane wheels, just looked at my kit and you cant put the wheels on the wrong way round, the rim is a plug you insert into the tyre with no hole in the center ???

and the Academy Spitfire XIV, does not look to bad, even though the front end is supposed to be to big !

Last ones from this 1/48 Allied Single Prop OOB category: a Monogram Hurricane II, 2 more Tamiya Mk V Spits, and a Trumpeter Wyvern, which had a question mark on the single prop description.

Attachments

• Monogram Hurricane Mk IIa.jpg
    Monogram Hurricane Mk IIa.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 96
  • Tamiya Spitfire V.jpg
    Tamiya Spitfire V.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 106
  • Tamiya Spitfire Vb.jpg
    Tamiya Spitfire Vb.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 104
  • Trumpeter Wyvern S4.jpg
    Trumpeter Wyvern S4.jpg