What a Thursday.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

wheelsup_cavu

1st Sergeant
I spent most of Thursday August 13, 2009 dealing with this "event."
It happened just before I got up to speed on the freeway.

Wheels

Attachments

• 100_0861.JPG
    100_0861.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 175
  • 100_0862.JPG
    100_0862.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 171
  • 100_0863.JPG
    100_0863.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 165
  • 100_0873.JPG
    100_0873.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 173
I am pretty sure the rim is still useable.
I had it towed and put the spare on the truck when I got home.
What a chore...
Getting the tread unwrapped from the axle took the longest.
I am just happy as heck I wasn't going 65 when it gave out.

Wheels

Good thing it was at the back end too
Leaf spring suspension - haven't seen that in a while :)

I am pretty sure the rim is still useable.
I had it towed and put the spare on the truck when I got home.
What a chore...
Getting the tread unwrapped from the axle took the longest.
I am just happy as heck I wasn't going 65 when it gave out.

Wheels
Might want to have a close look at your brake line from the axle housing to the wheel cylinder just to be on the safe side. Looks like that tread remnant was wrapped up there pretty tight :(

Might want to have a close look at your brake line from the axle housing to the wheel cylinder just to be on the safe side. Looks like that tread remnant was wrapped up there pretty tight :(
Thanks GG. I looked it over and it seems to be OK.
I had the whole rear end off the ground on jack stands to change the tire.
I don't trust a standard jack alone to do the job.

I haven't driven the truck since then but I have looked for fluid leaks on the ground.
So far no leaks on the ground or cracks in the line that I can find.
It is something I am going to keep an eye out for though.

Wheels

Yikes! I have had my share of flats, but that one was ugly. Definitely want to make sure the rear brakes are okay after that. Car no start, you have a problem, car no stop, you have a BIG problem.

About a week before it happened to me I saw a truck (F-250) on the side of the freeway with a similar type of flat.
His was in the front though. :shock:
I remember thinking at the time "How in the heck do you let a tire get so bad that could happen?"
I shouldn't have got so high and mighty. :lol:

Wheels

Thanks Adler.

I have to say it was a unique experience looking in my mirror and seeing chunks of tread flying around.
Having a tire fall apart didn't affect the ride either.
It felt pretty much the same, bumpy, bouncy and rough. :lol:

Wheels

Back in the early 80's, I had a front wheel bearing come apart on my '62 Nova while I was westbound on the 10 coming up on Etiwanda, by the old airfield. I was in the fast lane when it let go. Lost my tire, rim hub (with brake drum)...it was ugly, man. Traffic was cool though, and let me over. I had to E-brake it because the old Novas had a single line off the master, and when the hub (with tire/rim) came off, the shoes flew apart, dumping the brake fluid.

Not something I want to do again.

Gotta go with Adler on this one....your guardian angel was lookin out for you this day, that puppy coulda let loose at speed, in traffic, and coulda been MUCH MUCH worse! Tires are easy to replace! Limbs...not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back