What Cheered You Up Today? (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sweet daughter you have there, Terry. ;) :thumbleft:

My good thing is that we had plenty of visitors at the museum today:
Two school classes plus four groups, varying in size from 5 to 35 people, and plenty of small groups/pairs of visitors, so we sold a lot of tickets today. :thumbleft:
Plus Professor Henrik Stevnsborg held a lecture about danish police in the 1700's, and I took care of the coffee/soda sale, which was fun. ;)
To top it off, Jørgen (retired police officer) had found a lot of material on one of my friend's father (- an active police officer from the late 1930's to early 1960's), complete with his prisoner numbers and the name of the camps - Neuengamme, Buchenwald, Stalag 4 - that he spent time in during 1944-1945, when the danish police was captured by the occupying german forces in Denmark, and sent off to - primarily - the KZ camp of Buchenwald.
Almost 2000 danish police officers were captured and sent off to the camps, but only approx. 90 of them died.
The crazy, far-out reason?
They were treated marginally better than everyone else, because they were so-called "aryans".
I know that it isn't a very nice history, but I know that my friend will be happy to have that part of his father's history filled out a wee bit more, and I'm glad that we are able to help him research that part of his family history.

Plus Jørgen and I had a good long talk about that particular time in danish history, and the KZ camps that the danish police officers were sent off to.
Jørgen knows a lot about that part of the danish police history, and so for a WW2 history freak like me, it's a gift to learn a lot more - and incredibly hard for me to imagine what life and death in those camps must've been like. In a way: Thank God.

Last edited:
Holy Crap, I had no idea so many Danish police were sent there!

I guess it's a little known part of WW2 history - you're not the only person who didn't know, a lot of danish people doesn't know about this sad chapter in danish history, and I only learned about it about 5-6 years ago, when I first heard about it fron a friend's father - a former police officer, who just barely avoided getting caught by the germans, when the german occupying forces started rounding up the danish police officers who didn't cooperate with the germans.
Shortly afterwards, I joined the voluntary staff at the Police Museum in Copenhagen.

My good thing today?
Finally allowing myself to fully and wholly express my lack of interest in cooking. :D
I. Don't. Give. A. DAMN!!! YAY! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Relief! :lol:
And yes, I'm pretty damned hopeless in a kitchen! And I LOVE it! :rofl:
Up yours, cooking!!! *expressive, quite rude arm gesture in the general direction of the kitchen* :twisted:
*Burns the apron, dances a fierce war dance, and goes to do something useful instead: Goes online to gawk at www.bmw-motorrad.com* :D

Having the day off yesterday, and went to visit my folks.
Had a great day, washed the car, took a lot of cut-off garden stuff to the dump, and had a relaxed good time with my parents, talking about the family and finding out about birtdays, original names and such.
All in all a very nice day, that I enjoyed thoroughly. :)

And today:
Went on a motorcycle trip with best buddy Jørn. Even though the weather eas so-so (cold, windy, showers), we had a great trip, starting with going to see my family gravesites at Farum Cemetary - that's my danish family, mind you. ;)
I wanted to find out more about my grandfather, Eskild, who was a Radio Quartermaster aboard an inspection ship in the Royal Danish Navy during the late 1930's to 1941, when he died.

Now, people in my family claims two things as the cause of death - one party claims that he was captured by the Gestapo when the german occupying forces in Denmark wanted to seize the Navy ships here in Denmark, after which the danish Navy captains promptly sunk their ships before the germans could lay their hands on them.
According to this source, my grandfather didn't survive the interrogation process, and that my grandmother weren't even allowed to see his body when she received it from the germans for the following funeral.
The other source claims that my grandfather committed suicide in 1941 - no reason why.
Either way, the poor man ended up very dead, and I want to find out more about him and his fate.

It also feels good to track down my family history in general, and I got some nice shots of the headstones at the family grave sites.
I also feel great about the family graves being located nearby a beautiful old church, where the graveyard has got a beautiful scenery to the south, of the lake and forest at Farum - it's a beautiful spot to be laid at rest at; I think that is very good. :thumbleft:
And generally, it felt great to go see this place, which is both beautiful and peaceful.
Later, Jørn and I took the roads up north to Helsingør (Elsinore), where we had coffee and relaxed.
All in all a very good day. :thumbright:

Last edited:
Had a great waalk on the North Yorkshire moors The vale of york and rosedale abbey were lit up with brilliant sunshine, except for 1 black cloud that seemed to hang above us all afternoon. How can a wind blow at ground level but not shift the clouds that are only a few hundred feet above?

Had a great waalk on the North Yorkshire moors The vale of york and rosedale abbey were lit up with brilliant sunshine, except for 1 black cloud that seemed to hang above us all afternoon. How can a wind blow at ground level but not shift the clouds that are only a few hundred feet above?

Nice area for walking good 'Heartbeat' country, my daughter and family live just down the road in Kirkbymoorside..................:p :p :p

day off after a very busy weekend and my two new chefs are working out very well, i'm seeing a difference in the kitchen already

Good to hear Karl, hope you enjoyed you day off.. :p :p

As for me, it was just a good fulfilling day, had a big breakfast in town with the missus, took in a movie and spent the rest of the day modelling before a nice bottle of Merlot with dinner.........
happy-111.GIF

Sunday:
Got up early - 0730 - and shuffled about, enjoying the sunday morning.
Talked with my folks and borrowed the car.
Took 8 crates and 5 bags of stuff to the dump, had lunch with my parents (- smoked salmon on the local baker's spanish white bread with butter IS yummy!) , and went home.
Need a nap and a bath now, but it sure as hell feels good to get rid of all that junk! :D

Last edited:
Good to hear about the new staff Karl.
Nice place Kirbymoorside Vic, I had a customer there when I was with the 'Big K', and used to stay in a great old inn in Helmsley.
Maria, I've got a load of stuff to go to the dump if you're not too busy !!

Nice area for walking good 'Heartbeat' country, my daughter and family live just down the road in Kirkbymoorside..................:p :p :p
[/IMG]

Vic, my father came from Rosedale Abbey but my mother came from Great Barugh. My Uncle was for a long time the custodian of Pickering castle, he took me the length and breadth of Noth yorkshire and was a great amateur historian we got into all ancient monuments free cos of his job so I saw the lot. He was also ex RAF bomber command. His second wife was matron at a nursery home in Kirkbymoorside (dale end). In all the places Ive been Ive gotta say the NYork moors and its dales is still one of the most beautiful regions I've seen, I love its various moods.

I was the last person to leave the museum today, which was a first, and I've got to admit one thing here:
I'm totally and absolutely terrified of being alone in a building that isn't my own apartment! :shock: :shock: :shock: *wails*
I had to set the alarm all by myself, and of course there were problems with the darned thing.
But!
I'm quite proud of this:
I managed to sort things out despite feeling afraid, because I know that the only way of getting rid of that fear, is by being there all by myself and getting things done, locking everything up in all the right places and then setting the alarm.
And I did it! Yay! :D
It worked! :lol:

....phew! *giggle*
It was on my way home that I then realised that I could have called the alarm company to get support....*palmface* :rofl:

Just in case you thought you were having a bad day, a guy who works in various departments here at my work can top it. We had some heavy rain this morning, and he turned into our parking lot and drove through the driveway where water always gathers during heavy rain, and drove through 6" of water in his ricer wannabe Honda. His aftermarket air intake sits very low, and was underwater, where it sucked enough water into his cylinders to hydrolock the motor, and blow a hole into the side of his block!! Too funny!

I ran into an olf friend I had not see in about 3+yrs.This guy use to ome into my place of work and we got to know each other.This led to us playing a couple rounds of golf together over time.Mr Stevens is old enough to be my father but we always just talked like guys would but the thing today was I got to meet his wife a very nice lady.Mrs Stevens just wanted to keep holding my hand for I believe I reminded her of one of her children.I don't know what it was but she had this genuine likeness about her that she expressed to you kinda hard to explain.Anyway I got home from the grocery store and started cooking and I could still smell her perfume on me it made me happy even now to have met her.Maria if you hate cooking so much I got some chicken and dumplings cook'in :D.

'ey Javlin, sounds good! :)

Evening ride: Roskilde Harbour. Avoided hitting a hare on the way home, only to hear it get hit by a car going the other way. That is not a nice sound.
Comfort:
1. It was dead on the spot.
2. Good thing that it wasn't a deer!
Otherwise a nice evening ride. Windy (BMW R1200RT from 2008 ) has now got 60,260 km's on the counter.
And no, I already has got a hare in the freezer, I don't need another one. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back