What is your favorite WW2 movie

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I forgot to mention in my post, but "When Trumpets Fade" is an amazingly horrific look at the Hurtgen Forest campaign. Just thinkin about it gives me goosebumps!

That one is on my list as well RA.

Relatively underrated, but one of the most realistic portrayals of what combat in the ETO must have been like.

TO

Definitely Band of Brothers (even though it is not technically a movie). As for the rest there are so many I doubt I can even remember them all. Of course there is Saving Private Ryan up there as well. In addition there is The Longest Day, Flags of our Fathers, Letters from Iwo Jima, When Trumpets Fade, Battle of Britain and I could go on and on...

I thought "Band of Brothers" was way better than "Saving private Ryan". The last one was nice enough to watch, but I didn't think it exceptional.
I liked "Flags of our Fathers" and I thought it's twin brother "Letters from Iwo Jima" was even better, especially as it now told the story from "the other side".

Decsion Before dawn (1950) filmed in the ruins- about a German medic spying for the Americans in the last days of the war- Everything is perfect except the tanks are american. Shows the German knack for paperwork, everything's real and spot on.
First scene there's 2 MG-42s laying on the ground and a burning German251 halftarck laying there. Also in the movie is a attack on a bridge by a sqaudron of P-47s.
I was turned on to this movie by a friend who was a 80th Infantry Division vert and there for the last few months of the war- he said it was the best thing going for realism.

Of course I like all the classics and have a feeling there's more truth in the little details of Kelly's Heros then we might think...

The one I enjoy watching the most is Battle of the Bulge or Patton. I like the visual affects of Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List, and Band of Brothers better, but those are very intense movies and not completely relaxing to watch.

There's a lot of WW2 movies that I love, but I'll just do the top 5.

1. Saving Private Ryan.
2. A Bridge Too Far.
3. The Pianist.
4. The Longest Day.
5. Saints and Soldiers.

Wouldn't mind seeing Days of Glory though. Hey, has anyone seen a movie about a uprising in a Concentration Camp. I forget what it was called, but it starred Harvey Keitel.

Cota, haven't seen Escape from Sobiblor, but it sounds interesting.

I somehow missed The Gray Zone and camp movies are of interest to me. I just looked it up- I did read the book it's based on a few times years ago.
Good deal all the way around- I told you about a camp movie you haven't seen and I learned about one I missed, cool.
It's going on the list right now!

Here are my favorites...

Valkyrie
Das Boot
When Trumpets Fade
Enemy At the Gates
Letters of Iwo Jima
A Bridge to Far"Battle of the Bulge
Saving Private Ryan.

There probably is more, but I can't think of them.:)

Last edited:
Its pretty good.. I really like that one...

What did everybody think of the movie Valkyrie?
Loved it(my favorite ww2 movie).

I won't watch it because I won't support that piece of s**t Tom Cruise in any way, shape, or form. I won't even pirate the movie and download it illegally.

Tom Cruise did a GREAT job.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back