White tiger kills keeper

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Said on the news that they shot it because it dragged the guys body away and the other keepers had noway of getting it

A very sad thing to happen -espicially to a guy who recently became a father

Whether its in a cage or not, its a wild animal. The guy apparently lost sight of that. You can't punish the tiger for being a tiger! I hate hearing things like this.

Tragic accident
but I'll never understand why the tiger had to be put down; what sort of behaviour were they expecting from a large, carnivorous, wild animal?

White tiger kills zookeeper as tourists watch - CNN.com
I think they did the right thing... It already killed one zookeeper who's to say it wont kill another?... I mean the Tiger is notorious for being a maneater.

I think they did the right thing... It already killed one zookeeper who's to say it wont kill another?... I mean the Tiger is notorious for being a maneater.
Do you see how that reinforces my point?
There's nothing ambiguous about a tiger, if you cross its turf, it's going to kill you.
There is only one way you can be killed by a predator in captivity and that's to present the animal with the opportunity.

Utterly regrettable that someone has died but it begs the question, what safety protocol was

i. overlooked, or
ii. employed but not up to it

you'd have to hope the tiger couldn't get out, so the keepers had to have gone in.

One lapse in judgement or letting your guard down and it only takes a second for a predator such as a Tiger take advantage of it.
While I feel for the family for thier loss, you have to accept the fact that if you are going to work with a dangerous WILD animal this is the sort of thing that may happen.
I was recently in the woods calling to some Wild Turkeys when I noticed I was being stalked by a Coyote. It was amazing to watch how he analyzed the situation and was trying to figure out where that "Turkey" was calling from. He got to within ten yards of me when I decided I had better make a movement to let him know I was there. Lesson is,a healthy respect for wild animals no matter how large or small, whether the animal is caged or not, should be the rule. A predator such as this can strike at a moments notice and even a caged wild animal is trying to figure out a way to take advantage of the situation they are presented with.

Do you see how that reinforces my point?
There's nothing ambiguous about a tiger, if you cross its turf, it's going to kill you.
There is only one way you can be killed by a predator in captivity and that's to present the animal with the opportunity.

Utterly regrettable that someone has died but it begs the question, what safety protocol was

i. overlooked, or
ii. employed but not up to it

you'd have to hope the tiger couldn't get out, so the keepers had to have gone in.
I agree.:)

Traditionally, if a large carnivore attacks and kills a human, it's imprinted on thier minds that a human is not a threat, but food...so once a large predator has killed a human, it has to be put down, unfortunately.

Traditionally, if a large carnivore attacks and kills a human, it's imprinted on thier minds that a human is not a threat, but food...so once a large predator has killed a human, it has to be put down, unfortunately.
Wouldn't that be more applicable to a large carnivore in the wild, where its feeding activities are impinging on villages or communities that have to share its territory?

I see both sides of the argument. The side I would support is Why kill the tiger? This cat kills to survive........period. Your not going to wipe out centuries and centuries of evolution by putting it in a cage and feeding it dead rabbits and bits of horse. They should issue a notice to zoo keepers......

If you work with animals that can kill you, your doing so at your own risk. We will try to tranquilize the beast to retrieve your body, but the animal is just being an animal if it sinks it's canine teeth into your throat. Tell your family and your lawyer this NOW and let them know ahead of time they may have to have a closed casket funeral if your mauled to death.

I mean I feel bad for the guy and his family, but it was his decision to play with big kitties.

to keep those things not endangered why not have the keepers packing taser a lot of taser

to keep those things not endangered why not have the keepers packing taser a lot of taser
Last time I saw a White Tiger
or any large carnivore for that matter, they weren't wearing a T-shirt so I'm not sure what you would have the taser hook onto. If you plan to hook it into the skin then you'd better be quick with a pretty big voltage because its going to be pissed off with everything especially you.

Secondly, you still haven't eliminated the confrontational aspect, unless of course, you were going to fire your taser through bars in which case, why would you need a taser?

Lastly, I don't know if you realise just how fast a large predator can move; he'd beat you to the draw with your taser every time and you'd be dead.

There really needs to be a secondary secure perimeter, eg (and usually) its sleeping area, where it can be remotely secured until the keeper has done what he needed to do in the open enclosure area. The same vice-versa if he needs to work in the sleeping area.

Last edited:
Just watched a news tidbit about the American woman who moved to Africa and owns several full-sized "pet" cheetahs who jump in bed with her, put their paws around her neck, and lick her face. (eww?) I just see an accident waiting to happen here...

Not sure what she does for money as she feeds them hundreds of pounds of raw meat every week...and for a further "eww", she feeds them that raw meat on the kitchen counter and lets them all jump up and eat.

I love animals, but that's just a little too cuckoo...

Just watched a news tidbit about the American woman who moved to Africa and owns several full-sized "pet" cheetahs who jump in bed with her, put their paws around her neck, and lick her face. (eww?) I just see an accident waiting to happen here...

Not sure what she does for money as she feeds them hundreds of pounds of raw meat every week...and for a further "eww", she feeds them that raw meat on the kitchen counter and lets them all jump up and eat.

I love animals, but that's just a little too cuckoo...
Actually they rarely attack humans...They are the smallest/weakest of the big cats in Africa...

Out of all the hunting books that I've read about Africa(about 4-7), I've never read about a Cheetah attacking a human.:)....But it ain't the best idea though.:)

Last edited:

Attachments

• Shut the eff up 2.gif
    Shut the eff up 2.gif
    562.8 KB · Views: 126
I thought that Coyote hunted the Road Runner using equipment supplied by the Acme Corporation by mail order.

Or did I get that wrong ?

One lapse in judgement or letting your guard down and it only takes a second for a predator such as a Tiger take advantage of it.
While I feel for the family for thier loss, you have to accept the fact that if you are going to work with a dangerous WILD animal this is the sort of thing that may happen.
I was recently in the woods calling to some Wild Turkeys when I noticed I was being stalked by a Coyote. It was amazing to watch how he analyzed the situation and was trying to figure out where that "Turkey" was calling from. He got to within ten yards of me when I decided I had better make a movement to let him know I was there. Lesson is,a healthy respect for wild animals no matter how large or small, whether the animal is caged or not, should be the rule. A predator such as this can strike at a moments notice and even a caged wild animal is trying to figure out a way to take advantage of the situation they are presented with.

Why weren't the tigers locked up while they were cleaning the enclosure?

I would have thought that'd be the 1st thing you'd check!

Who would have thought that a large, wild, hunting and killing machine would kill a man? Hmm, who could've seen that coming!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back