Worlds Greatest Bass Player...

Worlds Greates Bass Guitarist...

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Had to google Robin Trower!!??!! Bridge of Sighs! In City Dreams! One of the lost musicians of the past. Fantastic stuff.

Njaco
Not very surprising. It's so long, long time ago when I activitely followed music and band news. I recognised only one of the polled bass players, only nine of the polled percussionists / drummers and 12 of the guitarists.

Juha

Had to google Robin Trower!!??!! Bridge of Sighs! In City Dreams! One of the lost musicians of the past. Fantastic stuff.

Bridge Of Sighs . . . on my list of top 5 rock albums of all time. Gotta listen to it with a good set of headphones, though. One of the few albums were every single track is good.

BTW, Robin was just here a few months ago, played a little club downtown. Unfortunately, I missed it . . . .

Would have loved to have been there. I have several of his albums and yes, an album where every song is good.

And I know what you mean, Juha. I have no clue about most bands nowadays.

Ya......

I actually think Cliff Burton is overrated massively. Now from a musical stand point all he did was use his fingers and filtered his sound through a wah pedal. He was talented no doubt and his solo on Kill Em All is pretty awesome. I just think legend has grown more than him since he died. No doubt had he stayed around Metallica would have kept their integerity and fanbase to a somewhat lager extent. RIP.

yes, also no Lemmy listed so live skills missed as well

Live skills missed as well????

Lemmy is great, but live he is rather boring! He is technically a great player with great skills, but he is boring as hell. If you want great skills but also great showmanship and live skills then you need to look much further.

Sorry, its true...

The one I think is best isn't on there. I would vote for Steve Harris. Man can do with base what most guitarest can do.

I will give you the fact that Steve Harris is a great player, but if you think what you just said above, check out a lot of the bass players on that list. I can think of several that are much better than Harris.

Live skills missed as well????

Lemmy is great, but live he is rather boring! He is technically a great player with great skills, but he is boring as hell. If you want great skills but also great showmanship and live skills then you need to look much further.

Sorry, its true...

I will give you the fact that Steve Harris is a great player, but if you think what you just said above, check out a lot of the bass players on that list. I can think of several that are much better than Harris.

all a matter of music taste, I fell asleep at my only Rush concert from being bored.

I saw Lemmy recently, boring is not a word anyone there would have used.

If you want to see a phenominal bass player look up Tal Wilkenfeld. She plays for Jeff Beck and as somebody who plays the bass, she is DAM GOOD!

all a matter of music taste, I fell asleep at my only Rush concert from being bored.

I saw Lemmy recently, boring is not a word anyone there would have used.

It is not about musical tastes at all. I happen to be a great Motorhead fan. Loved them all of my life. I have seen Motorhead many times (even met Lemmy in Italy 10 years ago), hell last time I saw them was back on December 6, 2008.

Lemmy is a great metal vocalist and bass player, but as for the live show he is boring. He stands behind the mic, does not move very much and there is very little (when compared to many other bands) interaction with the fans other than "This next song is Ace of Spades".

In the list here I'd go for Jaco Pastorius although Tony Levin is also brilliant in his own way.
As we say in the bass scene "Jaco opened the door and the world walked thru'" i.e. there was bass before Pastorius and after (RIP 1987) but the world of bass playing was never the same.

Personally the 2 who have influenced me most are Chris Squire (Yes) and Percy Jones (Brand X, Tunnels). Both are very melodic players, the former being primarily a rock artist whilst Jones is a jazz/fusiion cat. I was lucky to meet Percy at a Jazz festival. Incredible technique and yet so humble.

Tal Wilkenfeld rocks too. Lot's of great players out there eg Jonas Hellborg, Mich Karn, Marcus Miller, Geddy Lee - it's really a question of finding the appropriate musical vehicle in which to appreciate them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back