Worlds Greatest Guitarist... (1 Viewer)

The Worlds Greatest Guitarist...

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

the world's greatest is probably some flamenco player we'll never hear of.
the greatest i personally met (through his brother) was a guy who had studied with segovia in madrid.
he was pumping gas for a living.

dj

That is a sad fact for musicians. I'm part of a forum based in Australia and there are numerous fantastic guitarists. It does prove music is a passion that you do no matter.

David Johnson is referring to Carlos Montoya.... perhaps one of the greatest
flamenco guitar players the world has ever known. I'm surprised he isn't on
your list. Neither is Glenn Campbell.... or Chet Atkins....

Or did you just pick all the hard/acid/metal rock types ?

Charles

Mr Timo Tolkki from Stratovarius. Probably the fastest player i've ever heard. but everybody on that list is worth mentioning

Timo Tolkki - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You must not have heard Herman Li from Dragonforce. The man is ****ing amazing and fast and hell. I saw them open for Megadeth back in June and the guy was wild crazy fast. I am sure he is faster than Malmsteen.

Charles

If you look at the list there are plenty of non rock guitarists such as Jazz and Blues guitarists. I said I could not list every guitarist known to man so if there is one that you would like to see up there and vote for, I will add it to the list.

Everyone has there own style and influences so everyone is going to like someone else.

You must not have heard Herman Li from Dragonforce. The man is ****ing amazing and fast and hell. I saw them open for Megadeth back in June and the guy was wild crazy fast. I am sure he is faster than Malmsteen.

Yeah, know them :)

Did you know the vox (ZP) is from SA, actually from same town as me!!
my freind robbie (brilliant drummer) went overseas to do a recording project with ZP and Sam(their rythem guitar). wish i was the bassit though:shock:

but yeah this whole band plays at the speed of light!!

Charles

Ya well Chet Atkins I think is a really awesome player, try playing the tiger rag like him!:shock:

However there are many great players out there and the list reflects the rock genre of guitarist. Rock though incompasses so many styles from influences it is fairly accurate.

Listen to Steve Vai you get almost every style you could wish, same goes for Joe Satriani. Yngwie Malmsteen plays classical Bach influenced songs its.

One of the greatest classical/flamenco would be Paco Pena. He brought that style up to more people years and years ago.

However for out right flexibility and new ideas the above list covers the main players.

Ya well Chet Atkins I think is a really awesome player, try playing the tiger rag like him!:shock:

However there are many great players out there and the list reflects the rock genre of guitarist. Rock though incompasses so many styles from influences it is fairly accurate.

Listen to Steve Vai you get almost every style you could wish, same goes for Joe Satriani. Yngwie Malmsteen plays classical Bach influenced songs its.

One of the greatest classical/flamenco would be Paco Pena. He brought that style up to more people years and years ago.

However for out right flexibility and new ideas the above list covers the main players.

Agreed.

I pretty much like any guitarist that sounds great. My main love of music is Heavy Metal and Hard Rock but I like all kinds of guitar music. Hell you should have seen me at the Clapton/King concert. I was standing there with my long hair and Metallica T-shirt chilling out to some great guitar sounds. Same with Santana. Satch and Vai are amazing.

No B.B. King or Chuck Berry.
I have a cd with The Thrill is Gone by B.B. King.

I voted for Eddie Van Halen. There are still players around the world who try to mimic his style to no avail. Truely one of the greats, and took it to another level. Van Halen is my favorite band. In either form. But I do think that Eddie is a total dick, and he and his brother are like dictators in that band.

During the last tour with Michael Anthony and Sammy Hagar, the only way Eddie would let MA go out on tour with them was if he signed over all rights and credit to the VH albums. I have not looked, but if you buy a new album, or maybe even a reprint of a VH album, MA's name is nowhere on there. I read this off of a website a while ago. I want to go see them out on tour with Roth, but with out MA singing harmonies and backup, it will not be the same! Love the MA singing harmonies!

I have seen them 4 times, but never with Roth so I want to see both eras!

I think if you go back and look at all the "Greats", you'll find they were inspired by other great guitar players.
BB King influenced almost everyone, Clapton, Harrison, I am pretty sure he inspired Hendrix at some point. And those guys in turn influenced EVH, Brian May, etc. It is a never ending cycle of greatness!
But in my arguement for EVH, I think if you ask many of the guitarists from the 80'-today, Eddie Van Halen would be on their list of influences!

I personally think that Malmsteen is overated. I mean he is a great guitarist and you can not deny that, but he is so full of himself and there are plenty of people out there that are just as good but without the ego.

Hear, hear!

Yes, very overrated; all speed and no technique. He sounds okay for one or two songs, and then they all start to sound the same.

No technique? Come on the guy has practised for years and years. people often confuse technique and musical writing ability to be the same thing. Technically he his correct for technique and overall guitar shredding ideas. While i agree he can get repetitive he is in no way lacking technique.

Agreed.

I pretty much like any guitarist that sounds great. My main love of music is Heavy Metal and Hard Rock but I like all kinds of guitar music. Hell you should have seen me at the Clapton/King concert. I was standing there with my long hair and Metallica T-shirt chilling out to some great guitar sounds. Same with Santana. Satch and Vai are amazing.

Hey Chris, have you seen the set with Vai, Satriani Robert Fripp? When Satriani was interviewed he was asked about Fripp, he mentioned Fripp as being a great influence. I would have voted for him if he had been on the list...

No B.B. King or Chuck Berry.
I have a cd with The Thrill is Gone by B.B. King.

Chuck Berry, while I really enjoy listening to his music, he no great guitarist. He always does the same tricks (listen to the intro of Johny be good and then to Roll over Beethoven, hey don't you know that intro :lol:) and his sound is always the same.
BB King: I saw him years ago when he was still at his top. His music has an emotional touch that many guitarists never will achieve. He was a pioneer in string bending, a technique that every guitarist uses now. But you know, he can hardly play any chords? :lol: It's amazing, such a great guitarist not being able to do the basic thing.

Hey Chris, have you seen the set with Vai, Satriani Robert Fripp? When Satriani was interviewed he was asked about Fripp, he mentioned Fripp as being a great influence. I would have voted for him if he had been on the list...

No that I have not seen. I bet it was good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back