Worlds Greatest Guitarist...

The Worlds Greatest Guitarist...

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If you ever want to a hear a great psychadelic song try to find the studio version of Interstellar Overdrive. It's from the Barrett era, and it's crazy. For the best effect get some good headphones, because the sound is designed in a way that it bounces from speaker to speaker.

Cheers to you too, bud. Actually, if you look at that song, might as well check out the entire first album: The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. the album is about as 60's and LSD influenced as you get.

err i think yes........

After Vai joined Zappa he started to mention Satrianis name around as he had taught him. Satch released a demo tape and then many musical publications got hold of it and it went from there.

Yes, it is well documented that Vai took lessons when he was younger (pre-Zappa) from Joe; even Joe talks about it.

I went to a G3 concert a few years ago just to see Steve, even though Joe and Eric Johnson were there also. Kenny Wayne Shepherd opened for them, he was pretty good; I was, however, very unimpressed with Eric Johnson.

When Steve was done playing, I left. IMHO, Steve Vai is the most accomplished guitartist of his generation.

Yes, it is well documented that Vai took lessons when he was younger (pre-Zappa) from Joe; even Joe talks about it.

I went to a G3 concert a few years ago just to see Steve, even though Joe and Eric Johnson were there also. Kenny Wayne Shepherd opened for them, he was pretty good; I was, however, very unimpressed with Eric Johnson.

When Steve was done playing, I left. IMHO, Steve Vai is the most accomplished guitartist of his generation.

Steve is definitely one of the most accomplished players around for sure. Eric Johnson has some jazz and blues in his playing and rarely really opens up his chops which is suprising him being on G3.

I saw G3 last December, Vai, Satch and Petrucci.

I really want to see GIlbert and Malmsteen even though both of these blokes were out here last and this year I missed out:cry:

Malmsteen's music is great, but I think he focuses too much on technical skills rather than the emotion in his music, and sometimes it shows. Syd Barrett wasn' t the greatest guitarist in the world, but when he played it was magic. Neither was Tony Iommi (although I'll make a case for him if you wish, since I LOVE Iommi. He is a god), but he came up with the quintessential sound for metal, and all was dark, evil fun. Music should do two things, either separately or simultaneously: Express emotion or a message. Instrumentals are great for the emotion, but Yngwie's stuff is just showboating (i.e., Arpeggios from Hell)

Iommi is a metal god no question, quite amazing really. Started the use of down tuning obviously because of his fingers.

Malmsteen loves the harmonic minor scale being classical influenced he certaing does like his technique but if you listen to a lot of classical like I do its easier to pick out the subtleties

I listen to some classical, but I'm not really into it. Well, not the happy sounding ones :D. I've been trying to find some dark and ominous sounding classical/romantic period stuff, but I've had no luck.

I personally think that Malmsteen is overated. I mean he is a great guitarist and you can not deny that, but he is so full of himself and there are plenty of people out there that are just as good but without the ego.

I personally think that Malmsteen is overated. I mean he is a great guitarist and you can not deny that, but he is so full of himself and there are plenty of people out there that are just as good but without the ego.

He over rates himself for sure, someone did a spoof on a instructional video they over dubbed

" i actually taught god how to play guitar "

I was rolling on the floor with laughter,

he is a freak though scalloped necks aren't the nicest fretboards to play well at all.

Oh, well I knew that. Half the time you can tell, at least with the talented musicians. Others (poison comes to mind) just really suck, blow, and swallow, and have no talent whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back