Worlds Greatest Guitarist...

The Worlds Greatest Guitarist...

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pop - He Who's Name We Used Not Be Able to Pronounce - Prince (You gotta admit that little **** exudes talent, even if you don't like his music)

Prince really can play the guitar. I used to love his older stuff back in the 80s. I saw him in concert a while back and it was amazing hearing him play that older stuff.

ah all cool....

Thats great are you still in a band at the moment??
Im trying to get a thrash one happening....

Not really in a band at the moment. I was in several bands years ago and we did the thrash stuff. I allways do vocals. I can get a pretty good scream going sort of between old school Hetfield, Matt Barlow from Iced Earth and Phil from Pantera.

Right now my friend has a band and I am doing vocals for them but they are all leaving soon to go to Iraq so it is just short term and for fun but as soon as I settle down in one place I am going to start a new thrash band.

Heinz said:
I'm green with envy Im yet to see the Mighty metallica dude.....

Much respect on seeing em 9 times8)

Greatest live band I have ever seen and I have been to litterally hundreds of concerts.

Here are the Metallica shows:

26 Feb, 1989 Charlotte, NC
24 Aug, 1991, Munich, Germany
7 Sep, 1992 Columbia, SC
23 Nov, 1992 Stuttgart, Germany
1 Dec, 1992 Stuttgart, Germany
23 Aug, 1997 Stuttgart, Germany
21 May, 1999 Nurnberg, Germany (Rock im Park Festival)
14 Dec, 2003 Mannheim, Germany
4 Jun, 2006 Nurnberg, Germany (Rock im Park Festival + The second time in Metallica history they played the whole Master of Puppets albums straight through)

Of all time....must be Hendrix
....but no Rory Gallagher ????
And please listen to Joe Bonamassa.....!!

Where is Duane Eddy? :shock: :lol:

"Duane Eddy was the front guy, the first rock roll guitar god." -- John Fogerty

Duane Eddy is the most successful Rock Roll Instrumentalist, with over 100 million records sold!

Voted number one - above Elvis! - in England's New Musical Express reader's poll in 1960.

Duane Eddy's "Have Twangy Guitar Will Travel" album charted for 82 weeks on Billboard.

Duane Eddy's "Some Kind-A Earthquake" single is the shortest-playing top 40 record ever at 1:17

1986 Grammy Award Winner.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 1994 inductee.

Guitar Player Magazine Legend Award 2004.

Come to think of it.....where's Link Wray?
"Fred Lincoln "Link" Wray Jr (May 2, 1929 – November 5, 2005) was an American rock and roll guitar player most noted for pioneering a new sound for electric guitars in his hit 1958 instrumental "Rumble", by Link Wray and his Ray Men. Before "Rumble"', electric guitars were commonly used to produce clean sounds and jazz chords. Wray pioneered electric guitar distortions, like overdrive and fuzz, and was the first guitarist to use power chords to play a song's melody."

Oh boy, this would be tough for me. There are a boat-load of awesome players in different genres. Django Reinhardt is near the top for me. Solid player, raised to amazing by the fact he only had 3 fingers! Two fingers were badly burned and injured in a fire and were effectively useless to him. Lee Ritenour is a great jazz player. Rik Emmett from Triumph is still amazing.

I could add a few to that list in addition to the above, Steve Morse, Ian Fairbairn, Marc Bonilla, Jason Becker, Gary Hoey, Alan Holdsworth, Steve Lukather, Chet Atkins, Les Paul, Robert Johnson Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters and Ry Cooder all come to mind.

I played for many years and I would have a hard time picking a best ever. All on that list and many others influenced me as a youngster. Probably one of the greats from out generation you missed...Randy Rhoads.

I know at least in my high school days, the one guitarist that everyone thought was the one, was Randy. Sorry I missed him on the first go round. The reason I brought up the old guys is that they were the influence on many of today's best.

Satch and Vai are absolute monsters. Vai not only played with Zappa, but he was also the one who transcribed the music into sheet music. Anyone who has ever had to transcribe music will tell you that it is a difficult and tedious thing. Doing it for Frank Zappa would have been worse. Frank had complexity and things that broke music theory rules.

Most transcriptionists would run screaming from the building, not Vai. Might I add that Frank was not slouch either.

Another 2 guitarist who is certainly not my favorite but deserves mention is Dave Mustaine and Kerry King. Both are excellent guitarists and have made a great contribution to the metal world.

Saw Steve Vai last year, He's great. I use him as an example of technique in which he really is the best. I always try to replicate his licks, but my Les Paul is not really suited for it, it has a neck like a baseball bat :) The only thing I miss in his play is feel, it's just technique.
Jimy was the inventor of electric playing before, they just used te sloid bodies as an amplified accoustic, he really showed them. Too bad he didn't perform well on stage, as he was tripping almost all the time.
My favorite is Brian May, although not a real technician on guitar, he always does exectly what the song needs. He has a feel in his sound that I never heard in other players and he is very versatile, being able to get all the sound he wants from his guitar.
Another suggestion: Listen to The Edge from U2, how he's able to add to the song with minimalistic guitar playing. He shows that you needn't be a virtuous player to be a great one. He's playing almost undetected but really gives U2 the sound they have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back