ZG 1, Italy and the Bf 110G-2? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi, just saw this thread.
I will post a few pictures/profiles of BF 110 in Italy, just in case they are of some interest but, first of all, I give you the link for the Montecorvino airport site (Today the airport is called "Salerno - Costa d'Amalfi).
Text is in Italian/English language and you will find that there is there a "vespen" aircraft.
Pagina - Aeroporto di Salerno
Then a series of profiles and a photo taken from Battailles Ariennes n. 34 dedicated to Luftwaffe in Africa. As you will see from the legends, most BF 110 operating in North Africa were based in Italy.
BF1100001-vi.jpg
BF1100002-vi.jpg

The next one is taken from "Airwar Italy" and concerns a BF 110 based in Perugia in June 1944
AirWarItaly-vi.jpg
BF1100006-vi.jpg

I hope the above will be of some help.
Cheers
Alberto

The reason I'm asking John, is the top set from Peddinghaus. But, if you look at the pics, the wolf head seems a bit too dark to be brown.
The lower set, I can't remember seeing a pics with '110's with these markings....

Attachments

• Bf 110C-1 1-SJ.LG1.png
    Bf 110C-1 1-SJ.LG1.png
    214.1 KB · Views: 327
  • Bf 110G-2 12.SG 77.png
    Bf 110G-2 12.SG 77.png
    99 KB · Views: 287
Lucky,
The Wolf's head on that decal sheet is definitely that of 'Erganzungs Zerstorer Gruppe', (later 'Erganzungs Schlacht Gruppe') . The unit code 4M confirms this. The decal sheet is wrong in saying it relates to a Bf 110 C-1 of I.(S)/LG 1.

Thanks John, appreciated! What about the brown colour, is that correct? And, if I may....have you seen any pics of 12./SG77 '110's, with these skeleton nose markings?

Thanks again....

Cheers Chris! I just try to find any pics of a '110 with the brown wolf head, those on the decal sheet, to me they look like they're more black than brown....

Cheers Chris! I just try to find any pics of a '110 with the brown wolf head, those on the decal sheet, to me they look like they're more black than brown....

Pages 178-179 of my 'Zerstörer' volume Two in the Classic series of Luftwaffe Colours shows Bf 110s of Erganzungs Zerstorer Gruppe/'Erganzungs Schlacht Gruppe'. Difficult to tell whether the large wolf's head is brown or black, as it is against a very light fuselage camo colour.

I'd say that wolf's head is more towards the brown than black. Comparison with background tones suggests more of a brown tone, possibly a red-brown, similar to Weinrot, but a little darker. If it was black, I think the tonal difference would be more marked. If I had an original print, or a first generation half tone, I could provide a better analysis, but, going off what's on the monitor, I'd say in the brown/red area of the spectrum.

Looking at the decals coming with the Eduard '110E and ZG1. This gentleman, Herbert Kutscha, was he the top scorer in ZG1 and the '110 with his 22 aircraft, 41 aircraft destroyed on the ground, 41 tanks, 15 locomotives, 11 anti-aircraft guns and 157 transport vehicles?

I also try to find out more on Rolf Kaldrack... Don't know if I should do the Kutscha S9+NN or the E that Kaldrack was killed in S9+IC, Wk. Nr. 4057....when he collided with a MiG-1, which he had shot down(?)....

I have photos of "Schlitzohr" Kaldrack's Bf110E-1, S9+TC. He was shot down, together with his wingman by RS-82 rokets from LaGG-3 of Lt. Bocharov.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back