ZG 1, Italy and the Bf 110G-2?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

First of all I'd like to apologise to John Vasco here, for not being clear enough with where those pics came from and to the Mods for creating this situation. John, your books are first class work and I look forward to get more of them. Should have replied sooner, but this I one did miss, thanks to a somach bug which made me bedbound this weekend....

I'm sorry!

Lucky,
I sympathise with you. My son had that, and passed it on to me. I was in bed for 48 hours, on boiled water only. Not funny! Hope everything is OK.

Anyway, with regard to the thread topic, here are some pics of Bf 110 G-2s of II./ZG 1 in the Med campaign, which are better than book scans.

24e83ep.jpg

Things to note on this second photo are the rectangular air inlet on the nose, the tropical filter, and the fact that the engine dials can be ever so slightly seen through the rectangular glass panel on the engine cowling. Note also the protection afforded to the tyres from the intense heat of southern Europe in the summer.
2mcx9c3.jpg

11gj51k.jpg

I note that on previous pages, scans of some of the pages from my books show ZG 1 Bf 110s on the Russian front, and variants earlier than the 'G'. In order to remain 'on topic' I have not posted those photos here, but if the Mods OK it, and people want to see the photos, then I will happily post them, so that modellers, etc., will have the benefit of better images.

John V.

Wow John, you weren't kidding. Great shots and post away :). Im sure any model will make Jan happy as he is building several different models of the Bf-110 if I remember right.

Hi John, dont know if these will interest you or not. I found them on a old CD rom I backed up years ago.

The colored ones a little off topic but interesting none the less as I have no info on them at all. Cant even remember where they came from so if any one knows let me know and will post source.

Attachments

• 06_1_s.jpg
    06_1_s.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 415
  • new_color8ls.jpg
    new_color8ls.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 400
  • new_color7ls.jpg
    new_color7ls.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 416
  • new_color2ls.jpg
    new_color2ls.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 420
  • 15_1_sb.jpg
    15_1_sb.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 451
Is there any more info on the crash John? How it came about for instance? I notice the props are bent back on both engines, indicating they were either shut down, on idle power, or stopped. Just wondering if he had total engine failure due to fuel starvation, vapour lock, or pilot error with the fuel cocks etc etc.
Cheers,
Terry.

Fantastic pics John! Thank you ever so much for sharing! Sorry to hear that you've had your stint with this lovely bug too, hope that you're fully recovered! Looking forward to see more pics and posts from you!
The same goes for you Paul, excellent pics! That wrecked '110 is a sure candidate for an 'after the battle' diorama, eh? (Are you listening Terry?)
As our resident archivist Paul (Micdrow) said, I have a few '110's waiting to be built, one of which is this one, a C-4 shot down 19.07.41, flown by Lt. Dietrich Klappenbach and Gefr. Rudolf Methke from Z-Staffel I./JG 77, Wk. Nr. is 3588 and code was LN+DR. It was shot down over Warlamowo by AA-fire..

Is this profile correct for the Bf 110D-3 II.ZG 1 of Capt. Rolf Kaldrack? And, is it correct that he and his aerial gunner Unteroffizier Enke were killed in action on 3 February 1942 south of Toropets. Kaldrack flying a Messerschmitt Bf 110 E-1 "S9+IC" Wk. Nr. 4057?

Pic is stored on my hard drive....

Attachments

• Bf 110D-3 II.ZG 1 Capt.Rolf Kaldrak 21 victories..jpg
    Bf 110D-3 II.ZG 1 Capt.Rolf Kaldrak 21 victories..jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 352
One small thing I noticed, difficult to confirm without an underside shot, is that the yellow wing tips look like they just go to the outer end of the aileron. Methinks they are wider than that and should extend well into the aileron.

Also, not sure if the D-3 had the little air scoop on the nose.

Well, as it is now I have decals for four ZG 1 machines....

2N+GN, C, Wk. Nr. 2831, 5./ZG 1, Fw. Manfred Dahne and Bordfunker Ogfr. Herbert Klinke, France '40.
S9+HP, E,
S9+NN, E, Wk. Nr. ?, 5./ZG 1, Lt Herbert Kutscha, Russia, '42.
S9+FN, G-2, Wk. Nr. ?, 5./ZG 1, Italy, '41.

Seem to be rather popular 5./ZG 1.....

Which Geschwader was it that carried the large brown dog/wolf head on the nose, much like the black one on Erganzungs Zerstorer Gruppe '110's?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back