ZG 1, Italy and the Bf 110G-2?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So guys, what are the rules about posting excerpts, scans from books? I'm sensitive to authors' works being exploited and don't want to be part of furthering the practice. The few times I've done it, I have provided references but I'm not sure that providing references is good enough to cover copyrights?

Probably been posted somewhere so a link would be appreciated.

Usually we try and ask for a reference. Problem is you can sometimes find the same book by multiple sources with claiming different copy rights. Usually the source I post from the book I found it in and scanned. Some cases are quite obvious where the come from and others very hard.

Another problem is through the years Ive also collected a bunch of photos from different sites. Many of them gone. Usually I try to correct this if I can find the source or some one else knows it. Others kinda get forgotten.

May some one will add more but that seems to be the general rule here.

I'm pretty stupid about copyright infringement on these sorts of works and this isn't the place for discussing it, anyway. Can anyone suggest a site/authority that would explain such things? The one thought that bugs me here is about the photos. They were originally taken during the war by various entities, mostly Luftwaffe in this case, and as such I would think are public domain. The included narrative may well be protectable work but the photos? That's what I want to find out. Thanks.

I'm pretty stupid about copyright infringement on these sorts of works and this isn't the place for discussing it, anyway. Can anyone suggest a site/authority that would explain such things? The one thought that bugs me here is about the photos. They were originally taken during the war by various entities, mostly Luftwaffe in this case, and as such I would think are public domain. The included narrative may well be protectable work but the photos? That's what I want to find out. Thanks.

Your correct Sweb, you can probably talk about it more here.

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/basic/few-ground-rules-new-folks-7159.html

Folks - the bigger picture here, are you taking some one's work, scanning it and using it for monetary or intellectual gain. A bunch of us discussing color codes and markings on me 110s so we could go off and build models IMO doesn't constitute either, and yes there have been some of these same folks trying to make claim to war photos that they have no right to.

If I may, I'll add this further reply regarding my earlier post, and this may make things a little clearer for all.

I'm not bitching about any monetary loss. Whatever contractual arrangement was made between myself and Ian Allan is a private matter, and mutually agreeable between both parties. It does not form part of the issue.

Book sales are the lifeblood of the PUBLISHER. Without them, the Publisher makes no profit, and ergo, eventually goes out of business. What then happens is that the ordinary Joe in the street, the book-buying and book-reading public, no longer get what they are seeking. That is, books on their chosen subject.

What that site is potentially doing, is taking away sales from the Publisher, and possibly putting that Publisher out of business at some future date.

I have no problems with my books getting to as wide an audience as possible, but I think those who have read/posted since my last post perhaps need to see the bigger picture.

I hope the foregoing makes things a lot clearer.

As far as the subject matter goes, I pop in here on a regular basis, so if there's any questions you want to put to me, please do, and I'll do my best to answer them.

John Vasco

^^^^

Nicely put John, as a defence against the clumsy and stupid comments made against you, I look forward to the books to be published by your attackers, not that one of them would have the wit to create such a work.

Last edited:
^^^^

Nicely put John, as a defence against the clumsy and stupid comments made against you, I look forward to the books to be published by your attackers, not that one of them would have the wit to create such a work.

This interests me to no end if you are talking about me as I dont think Ive attacked any one yet and kinda take this as an insult!!!

... What that site is potentially doing, is taking away sales from the Publisher, and possibly putting that Publisher out of business at some future date....

I would rather say it's the opposite. Whether I buy or not a certain book does not depend on finding some scans from that book (or entire book in PDF for that matter) on the internet. It depends on the PRICE of that book. In fact if I see few scans from some book (with text, pictures and profiles) which I find interesting, this may urge me to buy that particular book even if I had initially rejected the idea because of high price of the publication in question.

But, that's just me. Sorry for the off topic.

Last edited:
Well I've looked through this thread and an fairly stunned how you managed to come to that conclusion.

Sorry, I took at as a general consensus to all those involved. Sorry for that, though I do ask all of you that if you do have a problem to email me or a moderator of your choice. This thread has gotten way off track and I'm sure more comments will be coming which makes me really consider that this thread be locked.

^^^^

This matter did not concern you and not only do I take offense to your remarks, but you're getting an infraction for sticking your nose where it don't belong.

If I have to discuss this with you again, you're gone - do I make myself abundantly clear?????

Last edited:
If I may, I'll add this further reply regarding my earlier post, and this may make things a little clearer for all.

I'm not bitching about any monetary loss. Whatever contractual arrangement was made between myself and Ian Allan is a private matter, and mutually agreeable between both parties. It does not form part of the issue.

Book sales are the lifeblood of the PUBLISHER. Without them, the Publisher makes no profit, and ergo, eventually goes out of business. What then happens is that the ordinary Joe in the street, the book-buying and book-reading public, no longer get what they are seeking. That is, books on their chosen subject.

What that site is potentially doing, is taking away sales from the Publisher, and possibly putting that Publisher out of business at some future date.

I have no problems with my books getting to as wide an audience as possible, but I think those who have read/posted since my last post perhaps need to see the bigger picture.

I hope the foregoing makes things a lot clearer.

As far as the subject matter goes, I pop in here on a regular basis, so if there's any questions you want to put to me, please do, and I'll do my best to answer them.

John Vasco

John, with that said, please take that up with that particular site. We do not want to hear about copyright disputes here. If one of our members HERE is using your material for monetary or intellectual gain, you let us know and we'll deal with them accordingly

NOW FOLKS PLEASE GET THIS THREAD BACK ON TRACK OR ELSE I'M GOING TO SHUT IT DOWN!!!

Last edited:
How many different types of aircraft did ZG 1 use during its wartime operational life? Being one of the oldest Zerstroergeschwaders, it must have had a few 110s, Ju 88s and maybe even a Bf 109 in the early years?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back