***DONE: Bf110D of 9./ ZG 26 MTO 1941 Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So you have to find the kind of a drill. Of course you can put both pieces of the landing gear leg together using the glue for plastic you got for the model assembling.But my experience says that the hardiness of the kind of a join is not sufficient for bearing a model weight. As a result it will be broken again shortly.
Anyway here you are the way you should follow if you want to make the join resistant properly.

As you can see I used the way to make the landing gear legs longer. But it is simply the same way of repearing.

Step 1. I bored holes in both pieces in the middle of each part going along the main axis of these elements.
These holes should be 2-3mm deep.

podw2.jpg

podw2a.jpg

podw2b.jpg

Step 2. Then, a thin wire was glued into one piece of these broken parts. For that I used CA glue but its amount should be really small, just a very small drop applied with a needle to the hole only.Then cut off the piece with a bit of the wire.Of course the length of the wire bit should be fitted with the deepness of the hole in the second piece.

podw3.jpg

podw4.jpg

Step 3. The next thing is to apply the glue for plastic on the wire and the front area of both pieces and a small drop to the hole in the second part.Then putting them together. Certainly you can use the CA glue for this as well.But you have to be careful and stick both part paying your attention to the correct symmetry and proper setting.

podw5.jpg

Step 4. Slightly cleaning of the join with a piece of sandpaper and re-painting.

podw5a.jpg

I hope this will help.

Good work Wojtek!
Jamie that's the best way to do it, as most of us have discovered over the years!!
Wojtek is quite right - you need the wire to reinforce the leg, and poly cement to 'weld' the plastic parts together. Using CA glue alone will join the parts, but it won't be a strong joint, and can easily break again, making repair even more difficult.
Depending on the area available, and there should be enough on the '110 leg, I would normally do as Wojtek described, using poly cement for the plastic joints, then, when it's correctly aligned, run a very thin, small bead of CA around the joint, using a cocktail stick or pin. This will reinforce the joint on the outside, holding it in place whilst the cement does its job. The result should be strong and clean. I've had to do it recently on a 1/48th scale B26, which weighs a lot, due to all the lead in the nose, and it's stronger than the Forth Bridge now!

Thanks Terry.:) I was asked for a such kind of reperation two weeks ago. The Academy B-25 of 1/72 scle had its right leg broken a few months ago.It was repaired seven times with a glue only. The landing gear leg got break even if the model was standing on a shelf and nobody touched that.The model owner was going to throw it away by the window.But being near to the Hobby Shop in my city , dropped into there and asked for a help. He was very happy when took the madel back without any traces of the repair. I think that now the left leg can be broken firstly than the reinforced right one. :lol:

Last edited:
I am amazed i managed to drill both pieces out without breaking something. Could only get brass wire but it should do the trick. got a full set of drills 0.3 to 1.6mm and a pin vise for a tenner (£10)the wire was 55p
heres some pics of my repair in progress

Attachments

• 100_0530.JPG
    100_0530.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 134
Good work Jamie. Brass wire should be OK on this relatively small and short length. If you're stuck in future, for a similar problem, or want to reinforce parts, paper clips can be useful (if not too thick). Just straighten them, cut and use as wire.
That was a good buy on the pin vice and bits - a pin vice alone can cost £4 to £6.

No worries, you always can ask Roman to send you more... And if he happen to be in short supply then maybe I can help. "Slivovica" is made in Serbia too, you know. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back