Age9: Academy P-40B Tomahawk

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Matt308

Glock Perfection
Apr 12, 2005
Washington State
American Volunteer Group Flying Tigers P-40B.

My son. Age 9. No help with painting. No help with glueing. No help with instruction nor direction. This is his first real build.

I have my fingers crossed. You have no idea how difficult this is for me. :puke:

Attachments

• DSCF1686.JPG
    DSCF1686.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCF1687.JPG
    DSCF1687.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 165
  • DSCF1689.JPG
    DSCF1689.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 172
  • DSCF1690.JPG
    DSCF1690.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 176
Matt, I'm not just saying this to please you, but that is brilliant!
If the pilot and other parts that have been painted on the sprues are anything to go by, this model is going to turn out very well indeed. I've been modelling 'seriously' from the age of 10, and your boy is way ahead of how I was then. The only thing I would offer is, leave the painting of the fudelage and wings until after they've been assembled, not that it's a big deal. But, that way, if any glue should leech from the joints and spoil the paintwork, it will prevent having to start over, and also prevent possible discouragement.
Please give my congratulations to your lad for a job very well done!
Terry.

I built my first model when I was nine.I didn't paint anything until I built my sixth model.I am now building a Nascar model and it will be completely painted. My poppy told me to learn to use the glue first. I am now ten years old and belong to the local IPMS club. This is a picture of my SR-71. If someone wants to make it smaller,thanks.
Sean B: rolleyes:

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 139
My grandson posted the last reply.He's progressing a little slower than your son but I've been monitoring him very closely. He wanted to go faster but I kept him back a little.Maybee I shouldn't have.I think its great that you have let him start by himself and hope he likes it as much as my grandson.As was stated above he is the future of this hobby. Good work , both of you.
Ed

Great Matt... I cannot wait to see how your son will cope with the kit.:D For now it looks nice.

The model looks good; you should be proud. Now I started models around that age but I ended blowing most of mine up with firecrackers cherry bombs. I lost some good models and got a whipping. See if you can talk him into hanging it from the ceiling when he's done, they're harder to get to that way. :)

Excellent work! I have that same model, but I put most of it together a few years ago and didn't paint the propeller or wheels before I put them in...

Needless to say, he's doing a better job on it than I did.

great stuff matt your son has an eye for detail

He sure does, Rochie. Ever met someone who has talent that is so extreme for their age? I'm talking innate talent and not something taught. Ever since my son could hold an object in his hand he has been drawing pictures. On one hand its wonderful, on the other its kinda scary actually.

Here's one he did this weekend over at his grandparent's house to pass some time. Pencil on 8.5 x 11 computer paper. He turned 9 August 19th. This scan does not do it justice.

Attachments

• GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 141

Users who are viewing this thread

Back