AIRFIX 1:48 Spitfire PR.XIX Kit #A05119

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. I'm outta RAF Interior Green and won't be going to PG for two more days so I've been looking for Tamiya mixes to go with what I have at hand and I think I found it.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

That's an old Tamiya large bottle, ¾ full. I'm thinking its close enough and will last most of my Spitfire stash

Geo, the oxygen cylinders were normally black. On the earlier Spits, there were two large cylinders, mounted vertically, behind the seat bulkhead frame on the port side, which were silver, with a single oxygen bottle (black) for the pilot's supply opposite, on the starboard side.
The part shown appears to be the increased supply for the pilot, required for the longer PR missions at altitude in the pressurised cockpit, and would, I'm fairly sure, be black.

Geo, the oxygen cylinders were normally black. On the earlier Spits, there were two large cylinders, mounted vertically, behind the seat bulkhead frame on the port side, which were silver, with a single oxygen bottle (black) for the pilot's supply opposite, on the starboard side.
The part shown appears to be the increased supply for the pilot, required for the longer PR missions at altitude in the pressurised cockpit, and would, I'm fairly sure, be black.
As per Terry. I finally found a photo that shows the oxygen bottles. Black as Terry says (stupid instructions) but the fronts were silver. Also no retaining bands but that ain't gonna happen now. Still wet and some touching up
IMG_0003.JPG

Geo, just saw this site now.

My Uncle, (then) LAC George S. Travers, was the airframe fitter for PS888, and painted the words 'THE LAST!' on her after her final RAF flight. He's the man ducking down in foreground of the final taxi pics on your first page.

I asked him details of markings, etc, so give me a shout if you need to know anything.

Thanks Evan. Any thoughts on gear well, struts and inner gear door colours? I've seen aluminum, grey green and PRU Blue. Also, the instructions call for the spinner to be in Sky Blue. The top photos seem to support this but I found a profile that shows the spinner to have a Medium Sea Grey back and Sky front and the photo with your uncle seems to support this

Geo, that's the same Tamiya mix that I use. I too go over the highlights with a lighter green, usually Tamiya XF-71 Cockpit Green.

Good to know Andy. I got the mix here so it gives some confidence to try some others.... PaintDB

.....and I just found out the backs were silver as well. The black seems to be a warning label and retaining straps in grey green....sigh

1689528731330.png

.....and I just found out the backs were silver as well. The black seems to be a warning label

View attachment 730028
Case in point.

The bottles were originally black overall, with white stencilling as shown, plus the word "oxygen" in larger letters.
I'm not 100% sure when the white (not silver) tops were added in RAF service, but suspect it was post war, in line with the start of colour coding of pressurised cylinders. (all black now denoting Co2, as in fire extinguisher).
The Swedish PR19 was post WW2.

Black over all...even better. Thanks Terry. With regards to the seat harness running to the back bulkhead. I've seen a photo where it went down behind the seat. Which would be correct for late war?

Seat harness as per the IPMS photos. Note that, being pressurised, the frame aft of the cockpit on the PR19, which was "open" on other Marks, was "closed" and sealed, just about visible in the photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back