AIRFIX 1:48 Spitfire PR.XIX Kit #A05119

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lower and rear frame painted, forward edge bare, "rolled" Perspex, no frame. This was a heavier duty canopy, due to the pressurisation, and the front edge sealed into the windscreen frame.
Note the external runne channels in th.e photo below, taken last week at RAFM, Cosford.

Geo Spit 19.jpg

Couple more of the RAFM PR19.
Note wheel well, gear door and leg colours. Of course, the colours would depend on the individual airframe and, as you mentioned, a combination of colour could often be seen.

Geo Spit 19 pic 2.jpg
Geo Spit 19 pic 3.jpg

Forgot to mention - the sealed frame aft of the cockpit was covered in metal, with a sealer around the edges, and painted the same grey green as the cockpit. The "Bowden" cable for the seat harness passed through a hole in the sealing plate, the hole being sealed with a grommet. As with other Spits, the harness cable ran back down the fuselage to the inertia reel anchor point.These details can be seen in the IPMS photos, but note that the harness straps shown are a modern type - RAF harness for the eriod would be the later Sutton harness with circuklar quick release box, the straps being a buff or light beige colour. (See pic below).

Spit seat harness.jpg

Good stuff Terry. The Lion Roar PE belts I'm using has those but I'll have to make the part that runs behind the seat. Last question, again. Though they won't be seen, Airfix has the cameras as black, I think, but I've seen mention of them as being dark grey

EDIT: I wrote dark black instead of dark grey

Yep, the camera bodies were normally black, with the "rough" finish being a "crackle" paint, as found on many 35mm film camera up until the 1980's.
Depending on the camera fit and film size (most common film was 9x9 inch format), and to an extent availability, the film magazine (the rear portion of the camera assembly, with rounded rear edges) could be a mid grey colour. Some of the smaller lenses, for example on the F8 camera, could also be grey.
Pics below show a camera and the film magazine, in this case in a Mustang, but similar to the oblique camera carried by the Spits.

Mustang camera RAF PR 2..jpg
Mustang camera RAF PR.jpg

Thanks Evan. Any thoughts on gear well, struts and inner gear door colours? I've seen aluminum, grey green and PRU Blue. Also, the instructions call for the spinner to be in Sky Blue. The top photos seem to support this but I found a profile that shows the spinner to have a Medium Sea Grey back and Sky front and the photo with your uncle seems to support this

Great work so far Geo!

Uncle George recalled the undercarriage wells being the same colour as the underside (PRU Blue). He didn't mention the gear doors or legs, but my personal opinion is painted aluminium for the legs, and possibly Interior Green for the inner side of the doors (defo not painted Al)

The spinner is actually White, and always was, according to Uncle George.

Cockpit interior was Int. Green, he never heard of them being Black. Armour plating behind pilor's seat was removed.

Exterior colours as per Bill's excellent build of this kit in the NF/ Favourite Aircraft GB. Note that wing walk markings were applied to both wings, and were of a rough material.

Uncle George kept PS888 clean at all times, so no need for weathering!

I have photos, but they are copyrighted. I only have permission to post the shot since coloured by the photographer (Brian Rose)
I have added a copy of an aviation magazine article photo however, to show the White Spinner, and lower demarcation line where the Med. Sea Grey upper meets the PRU Blue under the wing. I have a better quality copy of the original photo, but as I say am not allowed to post it here.

Also added a photo of Uncle George in 2014, next to the BBMF PR.19 PS915, painted to represent 'his' aircraft to mark the 60th anniversary of the last operational Spitfire flight.

Attachments

• 20230716_234658.jpg
    20230716_234658.jpg
    859 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230716_234327.jpg
    20230716_234327.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • 20230716_234740.jpg
    20230716_234740.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
AWESOME EVAN!!!! Unfortunately the seat is already glued to the frame and armour. White the spinner shall be. Neither Airfix nor any other build I've seen mentions the Med. Sea Grey wraps the leading edge; thy will be done

Thanks Evan. The "S" will be a little off but that's all I have. In the meantime, cameras repainted with semi-gloss black for the lens. I stared into my telephoto lens and couldn't make out the purty colours others seem to add. In the process of boring out exhausts and thumbs

IMG_0005.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back