Airfix 1/72 - BF-110C/D - febr. '41 - Oblt. Egmond Prinz Zur Lippe Weissenfeld.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank guys!

Indeed the right tools do make a big difference! These small drill bits are quite expensive imho, but they worked wonders sofar, and will come in handy for a lot of kits to come :)

While I was working the fiddly bits I noticed a few things either missing from the Airfix kit or rather chunky renditions by Airfix

First was the circular aerial on the lower side of the fuselage that looks rather chunky OOB to me. To the left the aerial after I removed it from it's mount, and to the right the way it looks after I replaced it with some copper wire (againg with help of my newly aquired small drill bits to create a suitable mounting hole fore the copper wire replacement)

Behind this circular aerial there's two more aerials of sorts that are not included in the Airfix kits at all. While I had the copper wire out I tried create one out of it. Not sure if I'm completely happy with this first 'test' piece, but you'll get the idea. The idea is to create two of those and ofcourse put them on the model

Attachments

• 10 - aerials 01.JPG
    10 - aerials 01.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 11 - aerial 02.JPG
    11 - aerial 02.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 80
Do you mean the Lorenz beam approach antenna? These had three mounting posts each, there being two antenna, so it'll possibly be easier to make and fit the posts, then add the curved (front and back) antenna from stretched sprue after painting the model.

Yup, I think you're right. It's the antenna's associated with the 'blind landing' procedures. Not an unimportant thing to 'miss' this being the night fighter. Indeed it has thee mounting points each, so your suggestion prolly works better as far as recreating those antenna's is concerned. I think I wanna try and use some thicker pieces of streched sprue to create the mounts and some thinner pieces to do the horizontal pieces

Last edited:
Since I'm in small-details mode ATM with this build a little work on some further small details has been done.

I looked into the blind-landing homing device antenna's on the lower back side of the fuselage again, taking into account the suggestion Terry made about how I might approach that. A few small pieces of streched sprue have been super-glued in place in a few prepared mounting holes. Both need an additional piece of streched sprue added to them in the middle, but building up the general outline of these antenna's seemed to make sence.

I also rougly drilled out the starboard super charger intake (needs some further cleaning up/smoothing) While i'm working the supercharger intakes, I also need to look into the port supercharger intake, which is located in the wing rather then on the nacelle. Opening it up will be easy, but looking at my scale drawings it seems to me some sort of mesh is installed over it, so it might take some thinking to figure out a way to replicate that somewhat in scale.

Attachments

• 11 - aerials 02.JPG
    11 - aerials 02.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 103
  • 12 - super charger intake.JPG
    12 - super charger intake.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Coming along very nicely Jelmer. One thing, if you're going for 100% accuracy here, is that the cutout for the #3 nose MG (the one that sticks out the farthest) differs from the other oval shaped ones in that there is a squared out cut at the back bottom edge to allow for the mounting bracket for the gun. I'll see if I can find a good pic later.

The D/F loop on the 110 is actually two loops, like this:
100616%20DF%20Loop.jpg

Also, Terry's suggested technique for the Lorenz antenna is exactly what I did on my 110. See post 275 here for a step-by step.http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/start-finish-builds/eduard-1-48-bf-110c-17793-19.html

Oops. Overlapped my response with yours Jelmer. There should be two more posts for the antenna, one each side btween the outer post and inner pair.

Thanks for the extra tech info. The cutout for the #3 MG-17 can probably fairly easily be scraped into a bit more squared shape with a nr.11 blade tip, I guess I need to be careful not to overdo it and end up with and oversized cutout since they are fairly big already with the rather smaller turned brass barrels (compared to the airfix kitparts) With my recent interest in the 110 I'm pretty sure I have some photo's that cleary show this (Meyer Stipdonk is loaded with mighty fine 110 pics ;) )

I know theres supposed to be an additional post for the Lozenz antenna. I guess the way I wrote it is somewhat confusing. What I meant to say was that I intended to create a 5th and 6th post for the Lorenz antenna to be placed on the points you mentioned ;)

As for the D/F-loop antenna I think it will be very difficult to replicate a two-loop antenna in 1/72 scale. I guess you had the advantage of doing it in 1/48 ;) I think I'm going to stick with my improvement on that part as is (to me it already is a vast improvement over the chunky airfix part.

Last edited:
Good work Jelmer. Never thought to offer - I have some scale plans I could have sent you!

Don't worry mate :thumbup: This books has all the scale plans I can possibly think of as far as the early types are concerned. With plenty more 110's in both 1/72 and 1/48 on the shelf and in progress this was a good investment + an interesting section about Wolfgang Falck which suits my particular areas of interest perfectly.

01.jpg

Last edited:
As for the D/F-loop antenna I think it will be very difficult to replicate a two-loop antenna in 1/72 scale. I guess you had the advantage of doing it in 1/48 ;) I think I'm going to stick with my improvement on that part as is (to me it already is a vast improvement over the chunky airfix part.

Ah, yes. I did not realize it's 1/72. You're doing an excellent job on those details. Carry on then!

A little further progress to report on some small details.

First I created two additional posts for the Lorenz antenna and superglued them in place. Afterwards I sanded all six posts to the same length to make sure the 'horizontal' part sits nice and straight on these posts.

I also looked into the port supercharger intake. Airfix left is as a simple cutout in the leading edge. This seemed a little too 'simple' to my eyes, so I decided to spice that up a tad as well. I first drilled the intake out, so it's actually an intake. The next step was to fabricate some sort of mesh to go over it as the scale drawings clearly show this mesh sitting over this intake. Besides, just have a drilled out hole in the wing didn't look right to me either. I solved this by superglueing some left-over thin streched sprue pieces (I had been toying around with that when I was looking into making the Lorenz antenna posts) over it to give it the appearance of a mesh of sorts. Not sure if it's totally accurate, but as far as scratch building goes, this is about as small as I can handle ATM without going into PE part or whatever, and it looks a lot better then having just the airfix cutout thats going nowhere or a drilled out hole in the wing that lacks in appearance.

One other thing I want to do is make a few balancing weights to go on the ailerons as Airfix has missed these parts as well. Not sure how I could scratch build these, but I was thinking of dipping some streched sprue in some superglue so a small 'blob' forms on the end, but maybe you guys also have some suggestions as far as these balancing weights go.

Attachments

• 13 - Lorenz antenna.JPG
    13 - Lorenz antenna.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 14 - supercharger intake.JPG
    14 - supercharger intake.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Nice work Jelmer. For the aileron mass balance arms and weights, I normally shape some stretched sprue by heating and pushing onto the bench to make the weights. These are then carved as close as possible to shape, and attached to stretched sprue arms. The final shape of the weights can then be completed by adding a blob of PVA and 'teasing' it out to shape. In this small scale, they should look very acceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back