An Old Temple in my Neighbourhood

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So very sad, and a statement about our world today that such beautiful and historical temples must be surrounded by chain-link and barbed wire to protect them from vandals.

Thanks guys for your kind comments.
I myself am interested in visiting there too as we have few opportunities to check the brandnew condition of old architecture.

This shows inside.

img_1510273_59889146_12.jpg

Shipachi san, if you could, do you have any pictures of the "Temple of a thousand Budda's." I'm not sure if it's close to you but that was another interesting place I visited. It literally has 1000 hand carved Budda's in it and they are all carved to look alike. They stand in column's of 5 and they have the representation of many hands around them. This was such an interesting place. Thank you for your pictures and insight. :)

Shinpachi, a question please, does it bother/disturb you that your temples, places of worship, have so many tourists tramping through them? People who are for the most part non-Buddist or non-Shintoist. Are there parts of the temple that are off-limits to non-believers?
In Arabic countries mosques are only partly open to tourists

Shinpachi, a question please, does it bother/disturb you that your temples, places of worship, have so many tourists tramping through them? People who are for the most part non-Buddist or non-Shintoist. Are there parts of the temple that are off-limits to non-believers?
In Arabic countries mosques are only partly open to tourists

Tourists are welcomed, of course.
There are some sacred places like the chapel or the garden that priests decided but you are not forbidden to enter because you are a foreigner or a pagan. There are always such writen indications like "Keep Out" or "Keep Off besides the person concerned" when you are not allowed but they are not always writen in English even today.

When I was in Kyoto thirty five years ago, I witnessed a foreigner tried to step a low wooden stage which is a holy place at Kiyomizu Temple. There was an indication but writen in Japanese only. So, a guard advised him in his simple English "Mister, Mister. No! No!". The foreigner understood what the guard meant and no more trouble.

You do not have to be so nervous basically.
Attached image: "Caution. No enter the garden, please."
:)

Attachments

• P1010331S.JPG
    P1010331S.JPG
    228.3 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Shinpachi, my thanks for your reply, I would not be nervous or afraid, I just would not want to be another Ugly American and do something stupid out of ignorance

I find it is always best to travel with an open mind and respectful of all customs. People are people and tend to return respect when respect is shown. I've been to atleast 14 countries so far and intend to visit others and this has always helped me. :)

Shinpachi, i like the middle one with the cupola framed against the tree, very nice contrast of texture. Thank you for posting these

Thanks Mike. One more shot for you.
This is really a good season to visit old temples with the clear sky and cool air...

DSC00302S.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back