An Old Temple in my Neighbourhood

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Shinpachi, my thanks once again, what is that device on top of the tower? looks like a lightning rod.

Your question always gets to the point, Mike:)

That is called 'Soh-Rin' - main part of the stûpa(tower) which is said contains the piece of Buddha's bone.

DSC00397S.jpg

Shinpachi, Excuse the continued questions but is there symbolism involved in putting it so high and in such an inaccessible place? and such a tall metal rod must get struck by lighting, no harm the the bone fragment from these strikes?
Western churches have "relics" from saints but they are in secure areas or sealed glass cases

Last edited:
Shinpachi, Excuse the continued questions but is there symbolism involved in putting it so high and in such an inaccessible place? and such a tall metal rod must get struck by lighting, no harm the the bone fragment from these strikes?
Western churches have "relics" from saints but they are in secure areas or sealed glass cases

It was safer to place the 'gem' on the tower than on the ground as no thief could bring down the heavy bronze work. No lightning hit the tower as the bronze worked as a lightning rod.

By the way, on last saturday, I visited the restored ancient palace in Nara City as I was interested in its interior. It was only an hour distance from Osaka.

DSC00519S.jpg

DSC00523S.jpg

DSC00537S.jpg

Photo continues.

Last edited:
Thanks Aaron and GG if you enjoy my trip there:)
Please enjoy together.

When I saw the photo that was taken by someone else and I introduced here a few weeks ago,
I did wonder what they are looking at the high above.

img_1510273_59889146_12.jpg

This is answer.
They were looking at the wall painting.

DSC00552S.jpg

DSC00556S.jpg

Shinpachi, very beautiful, what if anything do the animals represent? and in your first photo, what is the large object in the center? is that the main shrine?

Good question again, Mike. I truely admire...

Those animals are coming from the signs of the zodiac in Chinese astrology.
They represent direction, year and often hour.
2010 is the year of tiger in Chinese astrology.

The central decoration on the roof could be a symbol for the emperor like a Buddhism temple
but some researchers say it looks strange because the palace was not the temple.
Further academic discussion would be necessary in the future.

DSC00581S.jpg

This is the throne called Takamikura where the emperor sat during ceremony of state.

DSC00559S.jpg

DSC00567S.jpg

Some close-ups.

I was leaving this emperor's administrative office building called Daigokuden to check another restored building located to its south - the southern gate called Sujakumon.

DSC00598S.jpg

DSC00599S.jpg

DSC00606S.jpg

DSC00610S.jpg

I was born in the year of the Tiger (寅) which perhaps explains my attitude sometimes! :evil4:

The intricate detail of the workmanship is outstanding, I sure whish they still did architecture like this nowdays :(

Thanks for the close-ups, Shinpachi!

Thanks for your kind comments again, Mike and vB!

On the way to the southern gate, I found out an old foundation remain with the mossy stone stairs.
We will be able to see one more restored building here in the future too though it would take dozens of years.

DSC00631S.jpg

... and this is the restored southern gate 'Sujakumon' which means vermilion sparrow gate.

DSC00656S.jpg

DSC00676S.jpg

I was born in the year of the Tiger (寅) which perhaps explains my attitude sometimes! :evil4:

The intricate detail of the workmanship is outstanding, I sure whish they still did architecture like this nowdays :(

Thanks for the close-ups, Shinpachi!

Thanks for your comment too, GG!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back