April 19,1989

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The basic structure of the turret is still intact. The armor plate ranges from 6 to 18" thick. The practice round is still squibbed in the barrel. All the soft structures inside are destroyed. All electrics, electronics and hydraulics are gone. The entire turret from the powder mags all the way up to the top is completely sealed.

icon_salut.gif

I read somewhere they repaired it. Is this true? Camarogenius you said they just sealed it off.

Henk

Hey guys this is Mullahy, I see a lot of inaccuracies for what I heard and what I did that day! Since your using the conversations I heard on the sound powered phones from the magazine and I am also the one as you guys know that lit off the sprinkler systems from DC Central before the Captain gave the order! The Captain was talking to me in DC Central over the 28MC!

The #2 Turret is sealed off. It's considered a Grave site

I have been in there twice since it was sealed to do a re-enactment for the Navy both times it was videoed by the Navy! They also did a semi Re-enactment for the Captain on the USS North Carolina

I was just putting out the official version of what was found out....

However, I cannot look past this small piece of evidence.... What were those chemicals doing in there??? If theres no valid explaination, somethings afoot.....

And besides, if it was what u said it was, why didnt it happen before, and why couldnt they re-create or duplicate the explosion???
Actually something similar has happened before. It was on a slightly smaller ship, with 14" guns, and 43 peopler were killed. That was written of to a hot gun cook off. That was during WWII. The name of the ship escapes me at the moment.
The Navy was VERY quick in labeling it a suicide, I agree, but without a valid explaination as to why those very specific chemicals were where they werent supposed to be, it will always be a mystery.....

Couple of snapshots.....
In those snapshots, you see the phone talker on the 05 level weather bridge. I was standing to his left and slightly behind him. I had no purpose there, other than watching the shoot.

Hey guys this is Mullahy, I see a lot of inaccuracies for what I heard and what I did that day! Since your using the conversations I heard on the sound powered phones from the magazine and I am also the one as you guys know that lit off the sprinkler systems from DC Central before the Captain gave the order! The Captain was talking to me in DC Central over the 28MC!
Mullahy, your name sounds familiar, but when I close my eyes and try to picture the face, I keep seeing Manacotti. At any rate, I'm PM'ing you my phone number. Gimmie a call.

Actually something similar has happened before. It was on a slightly smaller ship, with 14" guns, and 43 peopler were killed. That was written of to a hot gun cook off. That was during WWII. The name of the ship escapes me at the moment.

In those snapshots, you see the phone talker on the 05 level weather bridge. I was standing to his left and slightly behind him. I had no purpose there, other than watching the shoot.

Mullahy, your name sounds familiar, but when I close my eyes and try to picture the face, I keep seeing Manacotti. At any rate, I'm PM'ing you my phone number. Gimmie a call.

I just tried calling you from Thailand, I can not do a toll free number from here! The only 2 survivors from Turret two division are Ken Truitt an myself, the reast are from 1st division!

Attachments

• Documents 002.jpg
    Documents 002.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 214
Geoffrey Scott Schelin served aboard the USS Coral Sea prior to his duties aboard the masterful USS Iowa. I had the honor and privilege to serve with this young man during the Med cruise aboard the Ageless Warrior. We soon became very good friends. Geoff was a Gunners Mate from California where I was a loud mouth airman from Brooklyn, NY stationed with HS-17 in Jacksonville. We saw each other only when we deployed yet we stayed in contact constantly. The Med cruise of 87-88 was in fact the best experience of my life. Being 19 years old and seeing the terrific sites of the world and watching F-18's take off and land, what 19 year old boy would not want to be me? Best part..I had now made a friend for life, Geoff had become my best friend on this cruise. We had chow together, we toured the sites together, It was just great. Little would I know that my friend for life would be so short lived. I received a letter from Geoff in November of 88 stating that he was going to come to NY for a visit when he gets back from deployment. I, still to this day am waiting.

My heart goes to all families of all these brave men who lost their short lived battle with life.

I am actually awaiting the 20th anniversary memorial service of this tragedy and hope to know soon where it will be held.

I miss my friend, my pal and my buddy!
19 years later and it still hurts

Marc J Garafano
USN

:salute: x 47

Tung Thanh Adams Fire Controlman 3rd class (FC3) Alexandria, VA
Robert Wallace Backherms Gunner's Mate 3rd class (GM3)(FC3) Ravenna, OH
Dwayne Collier Battle Electrician's Mate, Fireman Apprentice (EMFA) Rocky Mount, NC
Walter Scot Blakey Gunner's Mate 3rd class (GM3) Eaton Rapids, MI
Pete Edward Bopp Gunner's Mate 3rd class (GM3) Levittown, NY
Ramon Jarel Bradshaw Seaman Recruit (SR) Tampa, FL
Philip Edward Buch Lieutenant, Junior Grade (LTjg) Las Cruces, NM
Eric Ellis Casey Seaman Apprentice (SA) Mt. Airy, NC
John Peter Cramer Gunners Mate 2nd class (GM2) Uniontown, PA
Milton Francis Devaul Jr. Gunners Mate 3rd class (GM3) Solvay, NY
Leslie Allen Everhart Jr. Seaman Apprentice (SA) Cary, NC
Gary John Fisk Boatswains Mate 2nd class (BM2) Oneida, NY
Tyrone Dwayne Foley Seaman (SN) Bullard, TX
Robert James Gedeon III Seaman Apprentice (SA) Lakewood, OH
Brian Wayne Gendron Seaman Apprentice (SA) Madera, CA
John Leonard Goins Seaman Recruit (SR) Columbus, OH
David L. Hanson Electricians Mate 3rd class (EM3) Perkins, SD
Ernest Edward Hanyecz Gunners Mate 1st class (GM1) Bordentown, NJ
Clayton Michael Hartwig Gunners Mate 2nd class (GM2) Cleveland, OH
Michael William Helton Legalman 1st class (LN1) Louisville, KY
Scott Alan Holt Seaman Apprentice (SA) Fort Meyers, FL
Reginald L. Johnson Jr. Seaman Recruit (SR) Warrensville Heights, OH
Nathaniel Clifford Jones Jr. Seaman Apprentice (SA) Buffalo, NY
Brian Robert Jones Seaman (SN) Kennesaw, GA
Michael Shannon Justice Seaman (SN) Matewan, WV
Edward J. Kimble Seaman (SN) Ft. Stockton, TX
Richard E. Lawrence Gunners Mate 3rd class (GM3) Springfield, OH
Richard John Lewis Fire Controlman, Seaman Apprentice (FCSA) Northville, MI
Jose Luis Martinez Jr. Seaman Apprentice (SA) Hidalgo, TX
Todd Christopher McMullen Boatswains Mate 3rd class (BM3) Manheim, PA
Todd Edward Miller Seaman Recruit (SR) Ligonier, PA
Robert Kenneth Morrison Legalman 1st class (LN1) Jacksonville, FL
Otis Levance Moses Seaman (SN) Bridgeport, CN
Darin Andrew Ogden Gunners Mate 3rd class (GM3) Shelbyville, IN
Ricky Ronald Peterson Seaman (SN) Houston, MN
Mathew Ray Price Gunners Mate 3rd class (GM3) Burnside, PA
Harold Earl Romine Jr. Seaman Recruit (SR) Brandenton, FL
Geoffrey Scott Schelin Seaman (SN) Costa Mesa, CA
Heath Eugene Stillwagon Gunners Mate 3rd class (GM3) Connellsville, PA
Todd Thomas Tatham Seaman Recruit (SR) Wolcott, NY
Jack Ernest Thompson Gunners Mate 3rd class (GM3) Greeneville, TN
Stephen J. Welden Gunners Mate 2nd class (GM2) Yukon, OK
James Darrell White Gunners Mate 3rd class (GM3) Norwalk, CA
Rodney Maurice White Seaman Recruit (SR) Louisville, KY
Michael Robert Williams Boatswains Mate 2nd class (BM2) South Shore, KY
John Rodney Young Seaman (SN) Rockhill, SC
Reginald Owen Ziegler Senior Chief Gunners Mate (GMCS) Port Gibson, NY

As tragic as this accident was it was made all that much worse by the ineptitude and stupidity of the Naval Investigative Service (NIS). They quickly jumped on Hartwig as a suicidal homosexual who was dumped by his lover. Their investigation was a sham at best and and a complete disgrace to the naval service. They couldn't find a hooker in a whore house but when they needed a scapegoat to make them "appear" as if they knew their job poor Hartwig somehow appeared on their radar screens and "viola!" a culprit was found by the stupendous NIS. A sorrier bunch of scum sucking bottom feeders you'll never meet. And that is the voice of experience with those bastards. And to think of the hell they put his poor family through when they were in mourning!!! I would like to personally drop kick each and every one of those NIS bastards into the deepest part of Hell!

Marc,
The 20th will be held at Iowa Point.
I've been trying to log on to the T-2 site, but it seems to be crashed.

I wasnt on board the Iowa but I trained one of the guys who died in that tragic accident. Darin Andrew Ogden Gunners Mate 3rd class (GM3) Shelbyville, IN .
I first meet Darin as he reported to his first duty station aboard the USS Nimitz.
it took awhile for SA Ogden to get a grasp of Navy Life.He didnt want to be on a carrier he wanted to be on a Battleship. he was not into it at all. He got busted
for disobeying a direct order and was looking at getting out of the Navy all together..I was given the task of making him ship shape as they say. Darin had all the right tools for the Job of GMG but just lacked the get up and go to get him there. But hey before you knew it he was up to snuff and on his way to A school to be what he wanted to be.. I still think of Darin to this day and morn the loss of all aboard the Iowa that Tragic Day. God Bless

AO3 G W Gillmore
USS Nimitz CVN-68 1982-1986

PS Darin was a Hellova Drummer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back