Calling all Modellers!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

They stopped printing the catalogue??:shock:

Anyway....this is the birds that I'll build in the PTO GB:

Stanley W. Vejtasa's SBD-3 "Black 5"
.....and this one, observe the aircraft number! 8)

g312016.gif

A Grumman F4F-4 "Wildcat" fighter (Bureau # 5244) takes off from USS Yorktown (CV-5)
on combat air patrol, during the morning of 4 June 1942.
This plane is Number 13 of Fighting Squadron Three (VF-3), flown by the squadron
Executive Officer, Lieutenant (Junior Grade) William N. Leonard.
Photographed by Photographer Second Class William G. Roy, from the ship's forecastle.
Note .50 caliber machinegun at right and mattresses hung on the lifeline for splinter-protection.

...and hopefully, if time permit....Robert M. Hanson's F4U-1A.

All 1/48 as always!

G'day guys, sorry just read the thread now!

So it's a Pacific theatre build? Any specific part or just generally?
Be nice to give some of my RNZAF types an airing...

Evan

Sorry....WHITE 5 it is of course...! :oops: The Wildcat you mean Dan? That's my idea actually, do his fathers F4F-4 Wildcat, remember that we all had a good chat in the "Battle Of Midway" thread and that there were a Wildcat mentioned. I didn't realize that the number of the aircraft in the pic was "13" that he flew on that mornings CAP...just noticed it when I looked through the thread again, 8) not that it would have mattered, would have done his machine anyway! :salute:

G'day guys, sorry just read the thread now!

So it's a Pacific theatre build? Any specific part or just generally?
Be nice to give some of my RNZAF types an airing...

Evan

The idea I think is the whole PTO from beginning up to -43 Evan.... Will be cool to see some RAAF, RNZAF and other birds...8)

Ah Ha! PTO it is is then! Cool!
Now then Catch, and other Corsair afficianados, I'll be looking for some gen when i eventually get a kit. Probably go with a US Corsair, but might end up RNZAF or RN - if that type was used by these outfits. (F4U-1D ...I think; the Tamiya kit with tractor, anyway.)
Jan, I'm presuming Hannant's no longer have a printed catalogue, as I haven't seen one - but, as I mentioned, their web-site, being so vast and comprehensive, can be a little cumbersome to get around. Just checked-out SBX models also, they have a good range, and will send Xtracolor paints without having to buy a kit, AND they don't charge for carriage! Yippee! Might try them for a couple of things.
Now then, where did I put that book on US Naval aircraft....?

Jan, F4U-1Ds were used by both the RN and RNZAF, but they had 8 inches clipped off of the wings, like Jan said. Additionally, not many seemed to have the rocket mounts on the wings. Also, the RNZAF planes may have had their tailhooks and the wing-folding mechanisms removed, I'm sure they did that on -1As, I'm just not sure about the -1Ds, that will take some more research. Paint schemes for -1Ds are pretty easy; all British and US -1Ds were overall Dark Sea Blue. I'll have to do some more research on the RNZAF birds.

EDIT: Jan mentioned this next Group Build going from the beginning of the war in the Pacific up until 43, if that's the case, the -1D would not be able to enter as it didn't enter service until 44.

Thanks Cory. I'll obviously do some research first, but as you know, the PTO isn't my strong point! It'll only be that type as I need the tractor that comes with the kit; I could always change to another type of course! There's plenty of time, so anything could happen.....

To my knowledge, no RNZAF Corsairs had the arrestor hook. I don't know if they were removed by RNZAF personnel or received as such, but certainly there was no need for them as all our F4U-1a/ D and FG-1D Corsairs served on land. (We had 424 Corsairs all up)

All retained the wing-folding mechanism as far as I know, many photos of our F4U-1a's and Ds, as well as photos of our FG-1Ds being loaded aboard ships headed for Japan, clearly show the wings in folded attitude.

Re the build - UPTO 1943 as Jan said? That counts out the RNZAF Corsirs atleast then, we only got them in '44 (we relied mainly on P-40s before then).
Upto 1945 would be better I reckon, more type variation..

To my knowledge, no RNZAF Corsairs had the arrestor hook. I don't know if they were removed by RNZAF personnel or received as such, but certainly there was no need for them as all our F4U-1a/ D and FG-1D Corsairs served on land. (We had 424 Corsairs all up)

All retained the wing-folding mechanism as far as I know, many photos of our F4U-1a's and Ds, as well as photos of our FG-1Ds being loaded aboard ships headed for Japan, clearly show the wings in folded attitude.

Re the build - UPTO 1943 as Jan said? That counts out the RNZAF Corsirs atleast then, we only got them in '44 (we relied mainly on P-40s before then).
Upto 1945 would be better I reckon, more type variation..

I stand corrected. I don't know why I thought they had the wing-folds removed, as I've seen pictures with wings folded.

No, it's not. I believe no FAA Corsairs saw action until 44. I will double check though. I think we should do 41-45, as there were fewer types and countries involved anyway, so it'd still have some cohesion.

The first FAA Corsair squadrons were formed in 43, but it wasn't until April 44 that any got to the Pacific Fleet. I think there were some in the Pacific before that, but I doubt it'd be before 44.

That's good by me! Starting about the end of April then?
I know it's a bit early to start thinking about the NEXT next one, but as it's already been mentioned, there's no harm in running 'piggy back', how do you all feel about a Group Build centred around the 'Cold War', say 1949 to 1990 ish? It's 'different', and I think gives quite a lot of scope, plus, it gives me an excuse to get the Mig21 I've been thinking about for some time!!
Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back