**** DONE: 1/32 F4U-1 - Aircraft Nose Art GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

User Name: Catch22
Name: Cory
Category: Intermediate
Entry: F4U-1 "Marine's Dream", VMF-222, of 1st Lt. Ed Olander, Munda, October 1943
Kit: 1/32 Tamiya F4U-1 "Birdcage"
Extras: PYN-Up Decals

Well, I've managed to wait to even open the bags on this kit. I've decided to do the following scheme:

PYND32002.jpg

It was flown by Ed Olander in VMF-222. He later became an ace with VMF-214. According to the instructions I have, it flipped over on landing on Bougainville in December 1944, but that seems awfully late, so I think they mean 1943. There are apparently a number of photos of this plane in the National Archives, but I've only been able to find the two below.

4025569619_dfc03e1dc3_z.jpg

F4U-1MarineDream2.gif

It's the standard scheme of Blue Gray over Light Gray, but it appears to have had some Light Gray painted up the side. It has the interim bars on it, without a red or blue outline, with some of the bar missing on the port wing where the gun covers are.

As for the interior, there is only one original birdcage that I can find photos of, and that's one that was pulled out of Lake Michigan two years ago. The paint seemed largely intact, and the cockpit is black, while the gear wells are the bottom colour, so I'll go with that for mine. There is another birdcage that's currently in Brazil, but that was converted from a -1A so that is of no help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. Had today off, and will be off until Tuesday so there should be some progress at least. Started with the engine which looks great, so once that's done I'll put up some photos.

Thanks guys. This looks like it'll be the one to get me back into the swing of things. Hopefully I'll have the engine done tomorrow.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what colour the landing gear are? The conventional wisdom is they're either silver or the bottom colour, but they look more black to me.

Cory found this on the internet.

look at your first pic it does seem to have a lighter grey tail !

marines dream.jpg

also will look through my stuff when i can as this does seem vaguely familliar

Found this one Cory, in the osprey series of corsair Aces.

Attachments

• 576.jpg
    576.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back