**** DONE: - 1/72 Avro Lancaster BII - Aircraft Nose Art GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have put the black on both the Lancaster and Hampden, and have been out and got some modelmaster gloss lacquer. The bloke down the shop is rather sage like and always gives me a disapproving look whenever I mention Humbrol, all the stuff he has recommended so far has worked well and I am just off to give the lacquer a go, it looks like good stuff as it is not all solid at the bottom of the bottle like the Humbrol equivalent.

I think it is just the Testers version of Humbrol glosscote, I will try it out on the Hampden first though.

Hmm. Lacquer eh?
Had a customer with a '29 Ford sedan delivery, I did the lettering on the side panels, 12 hours of lettering.
The painter used lacquer Ferrarri red over enamel primer....... looked like an old piano in about 5 months.
Another 12 hours of lettering After a strip and repaint!

Take care with unknowns.

The bloke down the shop said it was better than humbrol glosscote, I never had a problem with humbrol mattcote but he knows more than I. Anyway I have sprayed it on now, it looks ok just not as glossy as expected so perhaps I will go back and get some trusty Humbrol. I have been using lacquer over enamel on other things without problems, is there something I don't know?

Now I'm worried, just checked testers product page and it said that their lacquers are ok the use over enamel paint. I think I will go back to the glosscote though, it seems better.

Yes thanks it looks ok, I googled lacquer and found that the stuff sold for models is ok as the solvents are less aggressive than in for example automotive lacquer. Model lacquers apparently melt the surface of the polystyrene only just long enough to key on to the surface but not damage it, as I have used quite a lot of alclad lacquer I now feel confident it is ok.

It all seems to have worked out ok with the lacquer so I decided to put the transfers on. I wish I took a bit more trouble with the Hampden, the last time I made this kit I was about 12 and I remember being very disappointed with it, the Hampden kit looked pretty rough before I started to build it but now looking at the semi finished article I can see that it would have made a really nice model if I had invested the time in it.
lancaster bii 003.JPG
lancaster bii 004.JPG
lancaster bii 006.JPG

Thanks, I did manage to damage one of the long stringy walkway transfers on the wings, I hate those sort of wing markings they are absolute rotters!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back