**** DONE: 1/72 CAC CA13 Boomerang - Aircraft Nose Art GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

last night I mostly just tidied up. I put together and painted the prop assembly, touched up some of the paint work, particulalry the white edges of the tail, and finished the decalling on the port side fuselage. I painted the stand and added a styrene stiffer at the top, so that the model can just sit on the stand without having to be glued

Not enough changes to warrant photos.

Im still uneasy about the paint finishes, but the more finishing I do, the better it does get. Its not anywhere near perfect, or even my aspirations for this build, but it is stillnot a bad build. I certainly will put it on display if it finishes as well as its going at the moment.

I have the canoipy to paint, which i always have issues with. Im at the stage now of masking, and that where I have the issues. I have difficulty in getting the masking the right shape and butting up against the frame properly. This one is no different. Im getting the masking as close to the framing as I can, but there is always a gap, and often leakages past the masking. which tends to ruin the canopy. I trying to get the masking as close as I can, but to try and improve the lines and improve sealing, Im running a thin bead of maskol around the masking, using one of my precious fine sable brushes. That was an agonizing decision of itself. Maskol tends to wreck the brush head, because its this rubery, latex like substance.

If anyone has any tips or advice on masking for canopies (or any paint job really, Im listening.

Michale masking of cockpit conopy is easy to make if you use a pencil and scissors. Stick a piece of the masking tape to the cockpit conopy . Mark inner lines of glasses with a pencil goning along inner edges of a cockpit frame. Then unstick the masking tape and cut out the penciled shape of glasses. Then stick the mask to the same glasses you got the shape. Here a couple of pics for getting the idea.

Picture sources ... Forum PWM ? Zobacz temat - Maskowanie oszklenia kabiny.

DSC04609.jpg

DSC04610.jpg

DSC04611.jpg

DSC04612.jpg

DSC04613.jpg

When cockpit conopy is masked apply the colour of interior as the first one. Then when it is dry, paint with camo colours. For removing of the tape masking , put a cockpit conopy into warm water for a while. In a few minutes the tape will start to corrugate and you may remove it with a toothpick for instance.

Wow, I've never seen the lower method before. Certainly lowers the risk of accidentally scratching the canopy. Thanks for posting this Wojtek.

Geo

You'r welcome. Just remeber about using quite soft pencils of the range Medium to Softest ( HB, B, 2B, 3B, 4B, 5B, 6B, 7B, 8B, 9B). For instance HB for the first way above and the 4B for the second method.

Im halfway through masking of the canopy. Its going better than normal, but still requires a fine eye and steady hand.

Ive taken to considering the colour for the canopy. Some of the artwork Ive seen suggest a darker colour than the "forest green" for the canopy struts, but other sources, including the one attached, show ot to be the same colouration, and indeed the continuation of the standard brown and green camo scheme.

Im inclined to follow the example shown in this walkaround scheme,

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...Utq_FMTQiAeEmYEY&ved=0CCkQsAQ&biw=944&bih=878

though it will be difficult to show the brown patches at 1/7/2 scale. im doubtful that the average person will see a two tone camo of the canopy at this scale.

Last edited:
Waiting for the results. One thing I haven't seen mentioned about removing masking from the clear parts(or more likely, I've missed it) is just before your going to remove the tape, or Maskol, lightly score around the masking with a new pointed scalpel blade.(Gonna be tricky in 1/72 though) This also help to prevent the paint from sticking to the masking.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back