**** DONE: 1/48 CAC CA-13 Boomerang - Aircraft Nose Art GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Buffnut. Not a dumb question. Yes the Boomerang had open wheel wells. As to whether there was a canvas inner cover to stop dirt ending up in the engine and ancillary areas, I have not seen a picture with anything like that. I do have the Overhaul Manual, but again no mention of any inner cover to remove.

Cheers

Peter

Thanks for the comprehensive answer, Peter. Naked she is, then! :)

Thanks for the comments guys- much appreciated.

Update time.

Pic 1
Cannon's straight and pointing slight inwards. Next detail is to add the rear view mirror. The part is, when comparing to photos about 32 scale not 48, so I sliced it down to be more 'right sized' and added to the top of the front windscreen.

Pic 2
Primer on. I've just used RAF Sky which I have lots of, for reasons I can't remember. Terrible time with the masks. They kept dropping off, particularly those on curved surfaces. I think I've listed the brand somewhere, but Eduard or Tamiya tape are much, much better. In the end I replaced them.

Pic 3
I did a little bit of preshading, but I will be relying on weathering and post shading to add some variation to the foliage green later.

Back soon

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• primer 002.jpg
    primer 002.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 211
  • primer 001.jpg
    primer 001.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 181
  • gun port 005.jpg
    gun port 005.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 194
Looking very good Peter.

What are the darker patches for? Are you trying to decrease the panel lines?

Common technique called pre-shading. Topcoat is applied lightly allowing the darker panel lines to show creating a weathered look.

Painting continues.......

Last pic is after post shading. I used Euro Dark Green for the main colour, a close match for Foliage Green. I then used yellow to dilute the paint further, which gave a lighter, greener tint. This was sprayed on the tops of wings and fuselage.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• paint 0010.jpg
    paint 0010.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 129
  • paint 0011.jpg
    paint 0011.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 135
  • paint 0012.jpg
    paint 0012.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 172
  • paint 0013.jpg
    paint 0013.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 156
  • paint 0014.jpg
    paint 0014.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 169
Further progress

Pic 1
Gloss coat on...ready for decals.

Pic 2
Unfortunately the decals supplied by Special Hobby were out of register. Note the white part on the outside of the roundel. I didn't notice this until applying the decal, as the decal paper is white also.

I will need to paint out this later - all six roundels are like this.

Pic 3 4
The remaining decals get added. The decals are actually very thin and easy to apply and went on well. No need for softener even.

Attachments

• paint 0018.jpg
    paint 0018.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 174
  • decal 001.jpg
    decal 001.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 170
  • decal 002.jpg
    decal 002.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 173
  • decal 004.jpg
    decal 004.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
More progress...

Pic 1
After decaling, I have gone back and added some more post shading to blend in the decals and make them look faded. I really wanted a faded, ragged looking result.

Pic 2
I have made some stone chips here and there. I will tone these down later with tamiya 'smoke'.

Pic 3
Okay, roundels I wanted to look patchy. On one photo posted earlier (first post) I noticed that there were two patches. One inside the letter 'Q' and the other on the rudder. Also the foot step access panel had the look of being aluminum due to wear or just left unpainted.

Pic 4 5
Patch added to rudder. I have used ZCY, as it looked lighter in the photo. Red primer or dope may have been an equal choice. While I remember, this aircraft did not have a fin flash, even though the decal instructions called for it. Needless to say I did not add it.

Pic 6
Oil stain created with Tamiya smoke. I hope this looks ugly enough!

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• decal 009.jpg
    decal 009.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 181
  • decal 008.jpg
    decal 008.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 174
  • decal 007.jpg
    decal 007.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 186