**** DONE: 1/48 CAC CA-13 Boomerang - Aircraft Nose Art GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Next shots...

Pic 1
Prop - The backs of the blades were abraded with dust and sand back to bare metal.

Pic 2
Here I have added gun smoke in subtle streaks from the guns and ejection chutes. The canvas gaiter on the 20mm has been coloured khaki, muzzle matt black.

Pic 3 4
Navigation lights are supplied as small clear parts. Got them to stick to the appropriate locations.

Pic 5
Landing gear installed. I had to do some mods for the covers to go on. SH did not allow sufficient room for them between the strut and the wheel well.

Pic 6
Unmasked the ID lights and painted these the recognition colours.

Pic 7
Added the exhaust and staining with light grey. Some Boomerangs were stained very badly in service, so mines moderate.

Pic 8
Added antennae wire, upper navigation light, painted fuselage fuel cap red.

Pic 9
I used crystal clear for the side marker lights (just above the exhaust). I could not get the supplied clear parts to go in properly. These will be painted clear blue.

Attachments

• paint 0026.jpg
    paint 0026.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 101
  • paint 0025.jpg
    paint 0025.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 105
  • paint 0023.jpg
    paint 0023.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 116
  • paint 0020.jpg
    paint 0020.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 107
  • prop 010.jpg
    prop 010.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 120
  • paint 0027.jpg
    paint 0027.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 96
  • paint 0028.jpg
    paint 0028.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 108
  • paint 0029.jpg
    paint 0029.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 116
  • paint 0022.jpg
    paint 0022.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 117
Okay in to the home stretch with this one.

Final details added like the pitot tube, I repositioned the rear view mirror, as I wasn' t happy with original position. A few more paint chips here and there. Dirt and dust on the tail wheel and behind the main wheels.

I'm calling it done!

I must say, this is not the easiest of kits to put together. Everything needs to be checked and tested. Special Hobby have made a lot of mistakes and you just can't take anything for granted as far as fit goes. In the end, I'm happy with the result, and surprisingly, eager to do another one, but this time I'll know a whole lot more. Some things I'd tackle differently, like the fuselage shim. You can get away with it being thinner at the top, which would help a bit with the canopy and interior, plus thin the entire interior sidewalls would make it go together much better.

Okay, finished thread will be added soon.

Cheers and thanks for looking!

Peter

Attachments

• paint 0032.jpg
    paint 0032.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 110
  • paint 0031.jpg
    paint 0031.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 116
  • paint 0030.jpg
    paint 0030.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 126
One of my prize possessions in my stash is the big brother of the CA-13, its a limited edition CA-15 Kangaroo. Im holding out for the GB (experiemtal and prototypes) before entering it.

It will be a real challenge I think, as it is a resin kit with a lot of interior detail.

Watching peter with this build, and my own second rate effort, has really inspired me to build the kangaroo.

One aircraft ive not seen modelled is the CA-11 Woomera Bomber. That would be cool i think if i could find a version. I am on the lookout, but so far no success.

Anyway, sorry for the intrusion Peter, but i thought you might be happy or please d to hear that your work is inspirational sometimes

Well thanks parsifal.

I would also like to do a CA-11, but a manufacturer producing one would be a stretch probably due to the limited market, but you never know!

No intrusion, and there must be something in your stash for the next GB surely?

Cheers

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back