**** DONE: 1/72 P-40N - Aircraft Nose Art GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
User Name: T Bolt
Name: Glenn
Category: Advanced
Kit: Hasegawa Curtiss P-40N Warhawk
Scale: 1/72nd.
Accessories: Three Guys Replicas decals and A bit of scratch building in the cockpit and wheel wells

For this Group build I'll be doing Lt. Rodger Farrell's P-40N "Island Dream" of the 7th Fighter Squadron, 49th Fighter Group, Dobadura New Guinea, 1943-44.

The Hasegawa kit is an older kit but looks nice with engraved panel lines. The cockpit is rather sparse though so I think I'll be throwing together a new seat at least even though the canopy will be closed. The wheel wells are also a bit blank so I'll be adding some rib detail there. I have a set of aftermarket decals from Three Guys Replicas I'll also be using. It's been quite a while since I've done a 1/72nd scale fighter so it should be interesting.

hpqscan0001.jpg
hpqscan0002.jpg
P9120355.JPG
P9120356.JPG
P9120357.JPG
P9120358.JPG
P9120359.JPG
P9120361.JPG
P9120362.JPG
P9120363.JPG
ss48757a2.jpg
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Great choice Glenn - subscribed!

Here's a pic from flickr of #15 the "Island Dream" with Lt Roger Farrell.

Note the interesting mis-match in tire tread patterns and no red outline to the "15"

And another shot from "Protect and Avenge" (Ferguson and Pascalis) showing the starboard side. No blue outline to the stars and bars.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• Island dream 3.jpg
    Island dream 3.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 340
  • Island dream 4.jpg
    Island dream 4.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Great choice Glenn - subscribed!

Here's a pic from flickr of #15 the "Island Dream" with Lt Roger Farrell.

Note the interesting mis-match in tire tread patterns and no red outline to the "15"

And another shot from "Protect and Avenge" (Ferguson and Pascalis) showing the starboard side. No blue outline to the stars and bars.

Cheers

Peter
Great pictures Peter, better than anything I could find. It looks like I'll be doing some pretty heavy weathering. The outline-less stars and bars are no problem, there's 3 sets of them on the Three guys decal sheet. I'll have to find a white star that fits the wheel cover. The pic from the other side doesn't show one though. Maybe the whole wheel assembly was changed when the tire was, or it's just an earlier picture. It does look like there is a narrow dark outline around the "15", the same as the "Island Dream" wording so I think I'll still go with the red outline.

Last edited:
Glenn, here you are a scan of the same picture but of a little bit better quality. I have enlarged it and clipped to the area with the art.
In my humble opinion the outline around these letters doesn't seem to be all around each of charcter. It seems that it was at tops and right sides. Only the D one had it all around it. However the outline could have been of two colours. I mean the red and black or dark red in order to make a kind of shadow.

110th TRS P-40N 15.jpg

110th TRS P-40N 15_.jpg

Last edited:
I think you're right Wojtec, at least partially. I can still see the darker red (?) on the top and right of many of the letters but it doesn't look like it's on the bottom of any of them except maybe the "I" and the "D". It may have been used as a shadow effect by the artist.

Last edited:
Yes you are right. Each of charcters had it all around. Here is a sequency of extra enlarged pics with the name. The shadow made of another colour can be seen too.

110th TRS P-40N 15_1.jpg

110th TRS P-40N 15_1a.jpg

110th TRS P-40N 15_1b.jpg

110th TRS P-40N 15_1c.jpg

110th TRS P-40N 15_1d.jpg

Started work on it tonight and am just about ready to put the fuselage together.

P9130364.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back