**** DONE: - 1/72 Avro Lancaster BII - Aircraft Nose Art GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pattle

Senior Airman
May 11, 2013
Aircraft Lancaster B.II
User Name Pattle
Name Kev
Catergory Intermediate
Entry Avro Lancaster B.II, "Fanny Ferkin" No 514 Squadron, RAF Waterbeach, Cambridgeshire, November 1944.
Kit Airfix 1.72 scale
Extras None.

This is my first entry, so I hope I have done this all correctly.

This is my attempt at building Airfix's recently released Avro Lancaster B.II. I thought this would be interesting kit to build as it is not the classic Lancaster having Hercules radials instead of the usual Merlins and also a ventral turret and bulged bomb bay doors.
The kit looks pretty good although I can already tell it is not perfect, so far I have just glued a few bits together so they fit inside the fuselage ok when the time comes to glue the halves together. A firkin is a 72 pint, or 9 Imperial gallon measure of ale if anyone is interested.
Lancaster BII 001.JPG
Lancaster BII 002.JPG
Lancaster BII 003.JPG
Lancaster BII 005.JPG
Lancaster BII 004.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Good one. Looking forward to seeing this new kit come together. Just shout if you need detail info.

Thanks for that, I still have the info in my head that you shared regarding the Short Sterling Hercules engines which will come in handy.

Thanks for joining in Kev. Plenty of good references on the Lanc over in Gerry's Hachette Works Lancaster build. I have fairly easy access to a real Lanc so holler if you need pics.

Welcome to the GB Kev! It will be really interesting to see how this kit comes together. I have been very impressed with the latest offerings from Airfix, so it will be good to hear your thoughts on this one.

Steve

So how does "Fanny" fit in?
Fanny is a shortened version of the girls name Francis. Also Fanny has a different definition in England to what it does in America, you could say that when the British and Americans talk of fannies they are speaking at opposite ends to one another. Having had time to think of it Fanny Firkin sounds much ruder in American English that it does in the Queen's English.

Purely a guess, but in this instance, the Fanny in question could very well have been the bar maid at one of the crew's local watering holes. And the way I'm feeling, I reckon I could get through half a firkin right now ...........

American Fanny Pack, is an Aussie Bum Bag!
Americans Root for the home team, you won't catch an Aussie rooting for a Team!

Just sayin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back