**** DONE: - 1/72 Avro Lancaster BII - Aircraft Nose Art GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have been spending a few hours here and there throughout the week and here are the results. Everything continues to fit together nicely although the engine nacelles showed a little reluctance. I painted the collector rings on the engines with alclad magnesium and copper and then give them a wash of matt black and matt cote, they should just have been matt black really but I wanted to show a little colour coming through.
lancaster bii 003.JPG
lancaster bii 004.JPG

The dark earth and green is now on. I used model master ready mixed spray paints in a neo by iwata airbrush, it is the first time I have used both this brand of paint and the airbrush and the result is a better finish than with humbrol in my old airbrush. I don't know whether I have the paint, the airbrush or a combination of both to thank for the better finish. I used scanned cut outs of the painting instructions attached to the model with blue tack (as used by T-BOLT on his Sterling, thanks T-BOLT). Black on next followed by a coat of matt coat which I hope should darken the colours up a little, I am thinking of adding a slight hint of green to the matt cote to help blend the whole thing in, advice on whether or not to do this is welcome. The Hampden in the back ground is a kind of tester for the paint and airbrush so I don't ruin the Lancaster, plus doing both together saves an extra cleaning of the airbrush between painting.
lancaster bii 006.JPG
lancaster bii 009.JPG

Not bad at all, well done!

Can't help with your thoughts though as I've not been down that road, though an overspray of any clear form of varnish should darken it a little. If you do add a tint of green, mix it up in a small jar first to ensure even distribution and you will only need a touch of the green, and then try it on the Hampden first, letting this dry first so that you can see the effect. If your happy, then go for it with the mix already made up.

Last edited:
I've not heard of mixing in a green tint but worth a try. As to your sequence, after painting and before decals, it is advisable to apply a gloss coat first to minimize the chance of silvering the decals. Once the decals are on, then matte coat it. Make sure you keep the masking on the clear parts until all coatings are done.

Looks good...depending on the finish of the decals it does not hurt to gloss over the decals as well before the matt coat to ensure an even finish, as sometimes the decals can give a differing final finish to the painted areas once the matt is applied...

Good stuff so far. I can't see any reason for adding a green tint to any clear coat - it'll do nothing apart form add a green tinge overall, if it actually mixes with the clear coat evenly. The application of the initial gloss clear coat will even-out the colours, and make then 'pop, whilst at the same time making them appear slightly darker. Once the finish, matt clear coat is applied, this will equalize things, and give the correct appearance.

The idea of adding a touch of green to the matt cote was just to dampen the border with the dark earth, having said that the border is not a really sharp one so I probably won't bother with the green tint. I noticed that adding a touch of the darkest colour to matt cote worked out well for me on Italian aircraft with mottled patterns, where the problem I had was not being able to get adjust the airbrush down to a fine enough spray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back