**** DONE: 1/32 F4U-1 - Aircraft Nose Art GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hockey, hockey.....?
Is that the sport, where a game of hockey breaks out, in the middle of fight?
Doing good mate!

Thanks Cory. A nice subtle reminder that snow will be on the ground in about 70 days.

Geo

*crys

Do not remind me :( it isn't the cold weather that kills, its more the no airbrush :(

Yep. Nice shop vacuum system in the basement workshop that sucks the fumes up. The secret is to leave the vacuum bag with a coat of sawdust inside that captures whatever particles make it to the bag, though I suspect most of what gets sucked up stays somewhere on the inside of the PVC pipe on the way to the impeller.

CX405_zoom.jpg

Available at Busy Bee tools in Edmonton.

Cory, it's not a perfect solution as the machine needs to be placed in a closed room or, better yet, in a garage with ducting piped into the house. The bag, if it does not have a coating of dust on the inside, will allow thinner fumes to blow through and these may still blow around the house and create the smell you are trying to avoid.

That CX405 is just a smaller unit like the one used on my router table for remove dust from the spinning router bit. It's for Dust collecting, not fumes. You have NEVER heard noise like you would hear out of That beast. The neighbors would have the police at your house in a heartbeat!!!!!! The can behind that 6 INCH inlet has a huge impeller that spins like crazy blowing the crap up the tube into the top hopper which then falls into the 6 cubic foot bag......

Look for sumpin else for fumes! Here's what yer gettin yerseff into!

The Hazards of Spray Paint Fumes - Sentry Air Systems

Last edited:
Now for the kit itself. The engine is completed, once some touch ups dry I'll get some photos. The cockpit is also in various states of completion, had to get new CA glue so that's delayed things a little due to the seat belts. For when it comes time, how would you guys suggest I paint the "grip strips" on the wings? They have a sandpaper texture to them, and obviously I wouldn't glue sandpaper to the kit, but how you guys recommend getting a decent look for them?

Seen an article in Fine Scale Modeller where the builder did use very fine grit sand paper. Unfortunately, all the particulars escape me.

Geo

Cory, you could use very fine 'wet n' dry' paper, which, in this scale, will give the desired appearance. But the thickness of the actual paper base might be a problem, and only by comparing the stuff to the surface of the model will indicate if it's usable.
Normally, I mask and paint the area, with a brush, in a very dark grey and let the first coat dry. Then, a second coat is applied fairly thickly, and when almost dry, but still 'tacky' this is stippled vertically with an old, stiff brush, which gives a rough appearance when dry, quite like the 'non slip' walk way.
EDIT: Crossing posts - that's looking very good mate!

Thanks Terry on both counts. I'll take a look at what paper I can find, it may be possible to get some of the backing off of the paper, who knows. If it's still too thick I'll give your painting method a try!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back