**** DONE: 1/48 Bell P-39 Aircobra - Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's that third hand that is the killer………………I can never find it when I want it.

t07036.gif

Wayne, I have learned to stick my PE frets to some masking tape. I rarely ever lose a piece when cutting it free. Now, dropping something as I am handling is another story completely.
Geo, I will give that a try. Listen in the direction of Texas for the growling and howling (ok, so add in a few colorful words as well).
3rd hand..... you guys never cease to crack me up.
Dale

Use thick CA glue. Place a blob on the end of the PE, stick it to the part where it's supposed to go, and with your third hand, apply accelerator.

Hey, Andy,
I do have a question for you. I do use accelerant as needed. However, all I can find is a small aresol can that sprays the stuff EVERY where. I just cannot see how to clean it off of a PE panel and NOT knock the t-handles loose. Any ideas on a cleaner that will work and not require a wiping down?
Dale

Yep, Geo's got it. Can't for the life of me understand why the sell the stuff in a spritz bottle. Now, that brush will get a little blob of dried CA on it so don't use a good one. If you want to remove the blob, get yourself some Debonder and dip the brush in that. If your brush has a painted wood handle the debonder will remove the paint faster than you can say WTF.

Damnit! DOH!!! Call this a Homer Simpson moment. Do I feel like a dumb arse now. Hmmmm, lemme see now.... 3 hands, maybe 4? Where the hell did I put those spare beasts?

I can unscrew the atomizer on my bottle. Dip in a micro-brush and gently touch the spot that needs it.

Geo

After I unscrew the atomizer cap I use the plastic tube inside the bottle to deliver a drop of accelerator to the CA. Saves a step.

Ok, got a start on the P-39. Not too much yet. Basic cockpit floor and bulkheads and the PE IP. That damned IP has 8 pieces of PE so far. Damn, my eyes HURT.
BasicCockpitFlrLft.JPG

BasicCockpitFlrRgt.JPG

IPLft.JPG

IPRgt.JPG

Please forgive the focus issues. I am using an extension ring to get in closer and my auto focus does not work. After the IP, my eyes were struggling to see my hand let alone through a view finder.

Nice work Dale. Instead an extension ring just take the pictures than crop them to size. That's what I always do. Also If you can adjust the F stop close it down all the way and use a tripod. That will open up the depth of field so focusing is not that critical.

Go for it bud!
To date I have 12 completed versions of the P-39/400/63 and 6 still in the box.
Next project is a 1:48 Brit. Caribou.
For some perverse reason I love this airplane and (the much maligned Buffalo too).

Go for it bud!
For some perverse reason I love this airplane and (the much maligned Buffalo too).

I have always loved the lines of P-39 series and the mid engine layout is so neat. Some day I am gonna do one as a maintenance diorama with an engine replacement theme. I just need to track down far more references.

Dale

Go for it bud!

We have a Caribou at HARS. They fly it all the time and I've been lucky enough to get a ride in the back with the ramp down..... woohoo
Ive got to find a 1/72nd kit to build for the exhibits.

Ok, so a quick dry fit leads me to believe the back of the IP will be visible through the glass. So, I decided to add instrument backs and some wiring for the 1st 2 rows of instruments. Not perfect, but when viewed through the glass, I think more than enough.
IP with InstrumentsAdded.JPG
IPBackwithInstrumentsAdded.JPG

We are not, I believe, talking about the same CARIBOU - I mean the export version of the P-39 (the US P-400) used briefly by the Brits in WWII, I think you are talking about the twin version made by de Havilland.
I rode in these in VN and at Ft. Bragg before the AF got bitchy and took the away from the Army.

Looks good Dale and I'll have to get my big camera out and give that wound down F shot a try. Need to find the instruction book first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back