**** DONE: 1/48 Bell P-39 Aircobra - Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey, Guys,
Thanks for stopping by. Minor progress the last couple of days. Getting the PE seatbelts together and letting the Gator Glue dry and getting them on the seat. Weathering the seat a tad, love that silver artists pencil! I still need to get the rudder petals attached to the PE IP and then mount the IP. Hope to get to that later tonight or tomorrow. I am going to shoot for getting the cockpit into the fuse and closing up the fuse by Sunday. Love to get way out in front of this build while work is not eating a huge hole in my time.
CockpitAssmLessIP.JPG

Coming along nicely Dale and much better photo. Though I've got a big honkin' Canon and tripod, I still use my point and shoot for my photos. Stupid thing meters on everything but what I want to shoot. Gotta stop doing that.

Geo

Hey, All,
Once again, thanks for stopping by to watch my fumbling through this build.

I have the fuse closed up and had decent success in fit. I had to touch up the top of the intake scoop and the forward upper fuse, but nothing as serious as the B-25's fuse seam. After getting the fuse closed up and the upper and lower wings assembled, I found a significant gap in the left wing / fuse seam (Pic 1 2).

WingFuseGapFront.JPG

WingFuseGapTop.JPG

The gap was wide enough that I I decided to use some sheet styrene to fill the gap as best I could. Due to the wells and forward cooling intakes, I had to get a little creative in getting a reasonable patch cut (pics 3, 4, 5).

WingFuseGapPatch1.JPG

WingFuseGapPatch2.JPG

WingFuseGapPatch3.JPG

The patch worked out well with only some putty to fill in the one or two gaps remaining. Taping these areas off and Tamiya white putty with the acetone/q-tip clean up got things looking pretty nice. Not perfect, but damned nice IMO (pics 6 7).

WingFuseGapCorrectedTop.JPG

WingFuseGapCorrectedFront.JPG

More to come. This has been a fun kit so far.

You've done very well there Dale, nice fix with the wing and the pit look good. As for the pics, a great improvement my friend.

Hey, Vic,
Thanks for the feedback. Had to break out the manual (ohhhhh, noooo) to figure out how to put the camera in aperture priority mode. And, broke out the big tripod.

Good stuff Dale. Just wondering if that gap could have been closed by tensioning from the wing tips, whilst maintaining the correct dihedral, but you've done a great job on the shims.

Hey, Terry,
I took a look at that and did not like the dihedral. Given the diffs in lft/rgt gap, the dihedral appeared to uneven. The patch that I did seemed to maintain the dihedral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back