**** DONE: 1/48 Bell P-39 Aircobra - Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wayne, I have learned to stick my PE frets to some masking tape. I rarely ever lose a piece when cutting it free. Now, dropping something as I am handling is another story completely.
Geo, I will give that a try. Listen in the direction of Texas for the growling and howling (ok, so add in a few colorful words as well).
3rd hand..... you guys never cease to crack me up.
Dale

Use thick CA glue. Place a blob on the end of the PE, stick it to the part where it's supposed to go, and with your third hand, apply accelerator.

Hey, Andy,
I do have a question for you. I do use accelerant as needed. However, all I can find is a small aresol can that sprays the stuff EVERY where. I just cannot see how to clean it off of a PE panel and NOT knock the t-handles loose. Any ideas on a cleaner that will work and not require a wiping down?
Dale

Yep, Geo's got it. Can't for the life of me understand why the sell the stuff in a spritz bottle. Now, that brush will get a little blob of dried CA on it so don't use a good one. If you want to remove the blob, get yourself some Debonder and dip the brush in that. If your brush has a painted wood handle the debonder will remove the paint faster than you can say WTF.

Damnit! DOH!!! Call this a Homer Simpson moment. Do I feel like a dumb arse now. Hmmmm, lemme see now.... 3 hands, maybe 4? Where the hell did I put those spare beasts?

Ok, got a start on the P-39. Not too much yet. Basic cockpit floor and bulkheads and the PE IP. That damned IP has 8 pieces of PE so far. Damn, my eyes HURT.

Please forgive the focus issues. I am using an extension ring to get in closer and my auto focus does not work. After the IP, my eyes were struggling to see my hand let alone through a view finder.

Nice work Dale. Instead an extension ring just take the pictures than crop them to size. That's what I always do. Also If you can adjust the F stop close it down all the way and use a tripod. That will open up the depth of field so focusing is not that critical.

Go for it bud!
To date I have 12 completed versions of the P-39/400/63 and 6 still in the box.
Next project is a 1:48 Brit. Caribou.
For some perverse reason I love this airplane and (the much maligned Buffalo too).

Go for it bud!
For some perverse reason I love this airplane and (the much maligned Buffalo too).

I have always loved the lines of P-39 series and the mid engine layout is so neat. Some day I am gonna do one as a maintenance diorama with an engine replacement theme. I just need to track down far more references.

Dale

Go for it bud!

We have a Caribou at HARS. They fly it all the time and I've been lucky enough to get a ride in the back with the ramp down..... woohoo
Ive got to find a 1/72nd kit to build for the exhibits.

Ok, so a quick dry fit leads me to believe the back of the IP will be visible through the glass. So, I decided to add instrument backs and some wiring for the 1st 2 rows of instruments. Not perfect, but when viewed through the glass, I think more than enough.

We are not, I believe, talking about the same CARIBOU - I mean the export version of the P-39 (the US P-400) used briefly by the Brits in WWII, I think you are talking about the twin version made by de Havilland.
I rode in these in VN and at Ft. Bragg before the AF got bitchy and took the away from the Army.

Users who are viewing this thread