**** DONE: 1/48 Douglas A-20 Havoc - Winter War / Eastern War WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here is today's progress. managed to spend about 5 hours, off and on working away at things.

IMG_0018.JPG

Got the cockpit, rear turret and half of bomb rack installed. Bomb rack required as closed bomb doors rest on corner tabs to lie flush with fuselage bottom

IMG_0020.JPG

Cockpit has been "dirtied up" a smidgen to make it look well used.

IMG_0021.JPG

Fuselage joined and taped

IMG_0022.JPG

Fuselage along with props and engine nacelles

IMG_0023.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

Props and nacelles

IMG_0026.JPG

Top turret

Cheers,

Jeff

Not questioning why. Afterall my IPMS Mustang had to be. But I just had to do sprue mods. I wish I didnt Just Have To. My modeling life would be oso much easier.

Not questioning why. Afterall my IPMS Mustang had to be. But I just had to do sprue mods. I wish I didnt Just Have To. My modeling life would be oso much easier.

No sweat at all. Your question spurred me on to try something. I pondered and pondered how to tackle this issue and I came up with this idea.

I took a no. 12 size snap swivel from the old fishing tackle box and snipped off both ends leaving me with just the eyelet and the end.

IMG_0028.JPG

Yesterday at my house I hung a new ceiling fan and had plenty of small gauge wire left from the old light fixture and some pieces from the new fan that I did not need. I stripped the wire and then took two strands of the wire and braided them together. A bit of a challenge but what the heck.

I then looped the end of the wire through the eyelet of the swivel which I had partially flattened and twisted the end to the main piece of wire. A drop of glue attached the spring like end of the swivel to the mast.

IMG_0029.JPG

I will be using some sticky tack to fashion a covering that will simulate the covering of the tensioner system.

A coat of black paint should cover most of the imperfections.

The other end of the antenna wire will be inserted in an opening that is present on the port side of the vertical tail surface.

I realize that the attachment "spring" may be slightly out of scale but I would interested in feedback as to whether this method is kosher or should I take the antenna mast off and look at another way of doing this? The wire can be adjusted to slide to the end of the partially closed eyelet and will be positioned there when some tension is applied to straighten it out.

Thanks for al your anticipated input.

Cheers,

Jeff

Well, nothing ventured...... nothing gained.
As important to know what Don't work as well as what Will.....

Try a thin copper wire, bend and twist it and set it with super glue.
Or stretch a piece of sprue thin, it will bend and twist and set with model cement.
Just leave the hole open for the antenna wire.

The theory for the swivel was a good one I think but I have improved upon the plan. I found myself wandering around our local Walmart earlier today and ended up in the arts and crafts section. While poking around looking for a few things for my grand daughter the items below came to my attention. Pierced ear wires, glass beads and beading thread and I said to myself " Jeff, those look like wire antenna making materials" so I bought them and brought them home. I played around with them and this is what I came up with.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

I think it is a much better looking rendition and certainly more to scale. In addition there are twice as many coils on the " spring " which adds to the overall look.

Sorry the last photo is out of focus a bit but I think you get the idea.

Comments are welcome.

Cheers,

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back