**** DONE: 1/48 Hurricane Mk1 V6555 S/L RR Stanford Tuck BoB GB (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ozhawk40

Master Sergeant
Username: Ozhawk40
First name: Peter
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1:48
Manufacturer: Hasegawa
Model Type: Hawker Hurricane Mk1
Details: 257 Squadron RAF
Aircraft Assignment: S/L RR Stanford Tuck
Accessories: Ultracast Wheels, Exhaust and Seat. Eduard Etch
Decals: Aeromaster

Here we go again! I've being waiting to do this one a long time and the BoB GB is the perfect opportunity. "Fly for your Life" was one of the books that inspired my interest in WW2 aviation. This one is a 'must build' for me.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• Hasegawa Hurricane 1 - resized.jpg
    Hasegawa Hurricane 1 - resized.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 334
  • Accessories 1 - resized.jpg
    Accessories 1 - resized.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 979
  • publication 1 - resized.jpg
    publication 1 - resized.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,037
  • publication 2 - resized.jpg
    publication 2 - resized.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 327
  • Tuck_in_cockpit.jpg
    Tuck_in_cockpit.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 350
Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent Peter, if for some reason you get stuck for decals later in the game, give me a yell as I have that set which I'll only be using for tail numbers in this build.

Thank's guys, I'll make a start soon, but in the meantime a challenge. Find me a photo of the port side of V6555 :twisted:

There does not seem to be one, especially showing the caricature of Churchill. Many others have had the same problem it seems, so I'm not holding my breath. Still, there must have been some basis for the markings.....

Excellent Peter, if for some reason you get stuck for decals later in the game, give me a yell as I have that set which I'll only be using for tail numbers in this build.

Thanks Vic - will do if I need to!

Cheers

Peter

I think I've got a shot of the port side, with Tuck in the cockpit, but it only shows his 'kills' under the canopy rail. The pic doesn't show the resat of the aircraft.

I think I've got a shot of the port side, with Tuck in the cockpit, but it only shows his 'kills' under the canopy rail. The pic doesn't show the resat of the aircraft.

Here's two profiles I found on the net of V6555, and below the Aeromaster profile and marking guide.

Tuck used four Hurricanes with 257 Sqn. V6555 was used 9-9-40 to 17-10-40; V6647, V6864, and V6962 followed after.

1. The Aeromaster decals for V6555 have MSG sky codes, but the fin flash has equal-sized stripes. Is this post-Battle? Should the tail have 9" wide blue and white fin flash stripes the full height of the fin, with the remaining part of the fin all red?
  2. There should be 19 white swastikas on the port side of the cockpit, with a "Churchill" drawing below them, and a "Burma" decal on the starboard. Note the different Churchills for each profile.
  3. The camouflage patterns are totally different for each profile. Which one is the correct one?

Some interesting issues already! I thought this would have been 'pegged' by now!

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 318
  • 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 326
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:
Hell's Teeth ! One of the artists has got something wrong ! I need to check a couple of things before I can confirm anything Peter, so I'll post an answer tomorrow (Friday), as it's 03:30 hrs here !
One profile shows the 'A' scheme, the other the 'B' scheme. These were used alternately for aircraft with serial numbers ending in odd, or even numbers, and that's one thing I need to check. Also, one is showing a de Havilland prop, the other a Rotol prop, although it's a slim possibility that the prop was changed (normally could happen if it had the newer engine fitted). As for the fin flash, there were some temporary changes, which were then modified to bring it into line with the 'regulations', and this is another thing I need to check. Unfortunately, most pics and illustrations of Tuck's aircraft are of the post November 27th period - presumably because people were too busy to worry about 'official' photographs (and 'unofficial' pics were prohibited - supposedly!).
I'll be posting all of this info in the next 'BoB Bits' installment, which would have been posted by now if I hadn't had a problem with 'painting' some profiles in Corel and Photopaint ! Hopefully I'll get it sorted over the weekend.

For those who want to find out a little bit more about Bob Tuck....

You tube is great!

Here's a short film on Bob Tuck. Great shots of a few of the fighter pilot greats at the end also.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxMJ2mX9UWo

And here is an article from Flypast published shortly after his death in 1987.

Attachments

• Flypast 1988 Stanford Tuck article - smaller.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 186
Great stuff! Given that the Hurricane behind Tuck and the group is V6555, the the last profile you posted is the correct pattern, in the 'B Scheme'.
I've been checking a lot of info, and come across an anomaly in the same publication, which describes the 'A' and 'B' schemes, then shows some profiles which are totally the opposite to the descriptions and diagrams ! I've was thinking there might have been a typo, but I now think the profiles were wrong (it is an old book !).
I just need to check a couple of other things before I can confirm the camouflage pattern, and should have this done by late tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back