**** DONE: 1/48 Hurricane Mk1 V6555 S/L RR Stanford Tuck BoB GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking good

Thanks Magnu!

looks great Peter, my Airix kit didnt have any wingtip lights and just plain covers for the landing lights, might have to try and build something to jazz 'em up a bit

The wing tip lights should be easy enough Karl, if you have some left over clear sprues from the canopy. Cut em out and replace with clear, sand and polish. Done.

Cheers

Peter

This is some damn fine work Pete, your raising the challenge levels, like Karl, my Spit has nothing in the way of landing or nav lights............I guess that means more work for me.

Thanks you Dan and Wayne

Applied the Sky to the lower surfaces today. Here's the pics. I used Humbrol 90 enamel, toned down a touch with light grey.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• sky under surfaces 001 - resized.jpg
    sky under surfaces 001 - resized.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 104
  • sky under surfaces 002 - resized.jpg
    sky under surfaces 002 - resized.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 105
Looking good Peter. After seeing the pics, a bell started to ring, so I checked my Airfix kit. For some reason, although the rest of the surface detail is there, and fairly good, there are no empty case ejector slots in the lower wing! Another job now noted on the build list !
Good job you posted the pic of the underside, it reminded me to check everything !

Thanks VB and T!

Pic 1
Finished the exhausts. These are Ultracast resin and very nice I must say. They are hollow at the outlets and moulded very delicately. The Hasegawa items are also quite good, but are solid and would need to be drilled out to look better. I first painted them with matt black, then Model Masters Burnt Iron, with dry bushing of Tamiya red-brown and buff.

Pic 2
Progress on the alighting gear with the legs completed and given a wash of 'gunk'. I have almost finished the wheels, with the addition of white markers (put on by the ground crew to check for tire slippage) and a wash of 'gunk'. I little bit more filling on the base of the wheels and they will be done

Pic 3
The Hurricane had black walkways both sides. Although they could be painted out or removed in service, V6555 was a relatively 'new' aircraft during the BoB, so I'm assuming it had them. Usually decals are supplied for this feature, but Hasegawa doesn't in this case, so I painted the area black and then added Tamiya tape to act as a mask for the painting to follow.

Pic 4
Walkways both sides, and I've installed the gun sight, ready for painting.

Pic 5
Masked the canopy. I think I need to add a bit more around the rear view mirror position to finish up. I did this with Tamiya tape.

Pic 6
Okay! All masked up and ready to continue with the painting. The *real* fun begins. :)

End of update.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• exhaust - resized.jpg
    exhaust - resized.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 120
  • alighting gear 002 - resized.jpg
    alighting gear 002 - resized.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 123
  • black walkways 001 - resized.jpg
    black walkways 001 - resized.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 133
  • black walkways 002 - resized.jpg
    black walkways 002 - resized.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 119
  • masks 002 - resized.jpg
    masks 002 - resized.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 138
  • masks 001 - resized.jpg
    masks 001 - resized.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 116
Nice work there Peter. A couple of things to check from your references before you go any further though.
In the pics, it looks like the inside of the undercarriage doors are painted in the underside colour (Sky); these were normally painted in 'Aluminium' on Hawker aircraft, a semi-matt silver coating, as was the inside of the gear bay. But, there could be exceptions of course.
The other item is the hatch on the starboard side. The rectangular hatch to the rear of the cockpit, the rearmost one in the fabric-covered area, was added to later production aircraft following the introduction of extra equipment fittings. I'd need to do some digging, but I don't think it appeared until around November 1940, and was, of course, on all subsequent Marks from the MkII onwards. A quick check of reference pics might tell you if it was there, but there's a good chance it's on the kit parts due to the main mould being used for various kit versions.

Lookin real good so far Peter... Question: the black splatter from ur airbrush, why is it like that??? Would think u would try to avoid that kind of mess so it doesnt affect the camo thats gonna go over it......

Thanks Dan and Karl

It's because I didn't clean the air brush properly. Unfortunately, once it's done, it's done. :(

Still it's entirely fixable.8) The air brush and the model!

Nice work there Peter. A couple of things to check from your references before you go any further though.
In the pics, it looks like the inside of the undercarriage doors are painted in the underside colour (Sky); these were normally painted in 'Aluminium' on Hawker aircraft, a semi-matt silver coating, as was the inside of the gear bay. But, there could be exceptions of course.
The other item is the hatch on the starboard side. The rectangular hatch to the rear of the cockpit, the rearmost one in the fabric-covered area, was added to later production aircraft following the introduction of extra equipment fittings. I'd need to do some digging, but I don't think it appeared until around November 1940, and was, of course, on all subsequent Marks from the MkII onwards. A quick check of reference pics might tell you if it was there, but there's a good chance it's on the kit parts due to the main mould being used for various kit versions.

Thanks T

I have painted the inside aluminium, T. I hope you can see that in pic 2, but if not, I'll post a better photo. :D The rectangular hatch is interesting, but must have been added earlier than November 1940. If you go back to the earlier post #64 I included a photo of the crashed V6604 DT-O and that aircraft had this feature. V6555 was I'm sure built in the same contract batch at Glosters. Contract No 857/30/40/C.23a Part 1 for 500 aircraft (source: Hurricane, Edward Bishop p127). I think it will be okay to leave it be, thanks T.

Cheers

Peter

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back