**** DONE: 1/48 Ju88G-6 of 3/NJG 101 - Night War of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I like how that last picture of the SN-2 looks like a face with those two big eyes looking down.

Great detective work Andy! I agree about the picture I posted NOT being a Ju88... I assumed as a Ju88 restorer, the poster would know the difference.

I don't think the first picture that you posted is of 4R+UR. Doesn't make sense that a Ju88 would have carried two redundant radar systems and if it did, it would've certainly been an uncommon occurrence. Mislabeled is probably more likely and could very well be a G-6 since G-6's commonly carried Naxos. I assume that the 2nd photo is correctly matched to 4R+UR and indicates that at least one G-1 had a radar position next to radio rack and operated by the rearward facing seat behind the pilot. Your third photo is similar to the Price one but it is not the same unit. There is a small black switch on the flat panel beneath the Naxos on the Price picture that is not present on the picture you posted. For the reasons I stated earlier, I believe that the Price picture is a G-6 so... I see three probable pictures of G-6 interiors with the radar unit in the same location, which is inline with the Dragon/Cyber Hobby kit representation.

Scan_122915043009_zpsfeoyeb4i.jpg

Do you think that Erich had it switched around in his mind? That the radar unit started out next to the radio panel with the G-1 and then moved forward to the IP position with the G-6? That would make more sense... maybe the issues that you describe for that rear position: radio operator having to oversee radio, radar and rear gunner responsibilities necessitated a change in position to a dedicated radar operator next to the pilot. Erich never did respond to Hartmann52's request for pictures that showed that rear position.

There is evidence of G-1s with the forward radar position John. The pic below is of a restored G-1 recovered from Lake Balaton. You can see the slanted mount for the FuG220 and the unit itself.

Ju88G+2.jpg

There is no definitive info that I have uncovered and most discussion threads point to the lack of evidence either way. I plan to get through the LEMB threads on the subject today and will make a call when done. Unless there is strong evidence to the contrary, I will leave the configuration as is since the prospect of doing the surgery required to move this stuff to the back is not attractive to me.

Yes, I saw that picture on Hartman52's thread. No dispute from me that G-1's may have had a forward position radar unit. Makes sense if the the transition from rear to front started with the G-1 and continued with the G-6. Doesn't make as much sense, given the lack of data, that the G-6 would have a rear position radar.

Have you done any pre-fitting of the fuselage pieces yet? I noticed that you attached the wing tips before gluing the wing halves together and wondered if there was any benefit of doing the same with the fuselage. Dry fitting is hard on a kit that has no locating pins!

Not there yet John. I've just done some of the other menial stuff while finishing my 262. Tire halves glued together, props assembled, tail feathers glued together but control surfaces not yet attached. Been looking at those flaps again but must resist......

Because of the cockpit situation, I'm jumping around the little minor details too.

Just to pile on another kick to what's probably a dead horse... another picture that's labelled as the instrument panel of 4R+UR. No verification... just a picture I found on warbirdphotographs.com. I was drawn to it because it was so clear and the wiring along the top edge of the IP was interesting to me.
Ju88G1-NJG2-(4R+UR)-WrkN712273-Cockpit-1f-s.jpg

After scouring through 15 pages of LEMB discussions, I've come to the conclusion that the pic you posted above is actually that of 4R+UR's IP and that the one I posted earlier is from a later G-1 or G-6 or 7 and not from 4R+UR as stated by Peter Evans. I'm going with the front radar position and will replicate the rear cabin to look like this:

Ju88G6 ref httpwww.luftwaffe-experten.orgforumsindex.phpshowtopic_17309&hl_ju88g-6.jpg

Thanks John and Hugh. The thing about the above picture is that the radio equipment is stacked differently than that in the kit. I'm gong to see if it's worth the effort of adjusting the kit part after examining it closely. In the meantime, I set to work on some of the cockpit shortcomings....

The best view of the pit will actually be through the crew hatch and it is here that the kit falls a bit short. There is no bulkhead detail and the Bordfunker seat pedestal is rather crude.

15123101.jpg

Here you can see the seat pedestal drilled out and shaped to more represent a frame. The floor is also temporarily installed to show the gap between it and the lower fuselage surface. This needs to be filled.

15123102.jpg

Using plastic card and various references, I built up the areas visible through the hatch as shown below. The slightly raised floor that supports the ammo box for the MG131 was cut off as part of this modification.

15123103.jpg

The same area after painting, washing, and dry-brushing with silver:

15123104.jpg

The instrument panel was also painted up by hand starting with filling the instrument faces in black, picking out the various highlights in white, yellow, and red (the latter two very faintly) and touching up with a black 0.5mm marker. The faces have yet to receive a dab of Future.

15123105.jpg

Though not up to the same quality as a prepainted PE panel, it will be good enough for the limited view through the glazing.

Great work on the interior! I like how you blocked off the gap between the fuse bottom and cockpit floor. The IP looks great too.

Thanks everyone.

I managed to squeeze in a couple of hours yesterday and a bit more today to continue with the cockpit enhancements. The next prominent feature is the emergency fuel pump and switching valves seen at the bottom of the photo posted above. I went at this all in one go, not pausing for pics and here's the result:

16010101.jpg
16010102.jpg

The fuel pump started with two pieces of round rod of different diameters to which a piece of bent solder was attached. One end was flattened (nice thing about solder is that it's soft!) and glued to the pump shaft and the other received several dabs of white glue to form the knob. The switching unit above this is just a piece of card to which I glued two left over PE levers from an Eduard Hellcat kit and a PE placard. The valves are built up of rod and card and the fuel lines are yet more bits of solder. Maybe these should be painted yellow......?

Next came enhancements to the ammo box. The visible faces received bits of bent lead wire to form the supporting basket and the ammo feed chute was fabricated of card.

16010103.jpg

The ammo box was then glued into place. Some of the fuel lines needed to be bent down and the back end of the box chamfered to allow it to sit as low as possible.

16010104.jpg

The front right section of the pit got a big wire harness made of the copper wire from inside a a plastic ID card, two added black boxes under the instruments, a flare rack (holes not seen but just represented with a black pen) and the radar operator's wood floor made of card.

16010105.jpg

That's it for today. Thanks for looking in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back