**** DONE: 1/48 P-39 Airacobra - Winter War / Eastern Front WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

cheers Mike.

i got the exhausts fitted, and the other door fitted in the closed position and the engine panel fitted after loading the nose with weight !

DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

thank you chap's.

actually got this one painted before i set off to meet up with Terry for the Little Gransden airshow, will post pics when i can.

question, would Russian props have had yellow tips ?

Unfortunately it is not easy to answer the question. P-39s delivered to Russia had either the Curtiss Electrics or Aeroproducts props. Both of these props were either with the yellow tips or without them. As a result a pic of of the actual plane is needed. Generally it can be assumed that these P-39s that were sent to the GB and then re-exported to the USSR had the yellow prop tips, plus a number of P-400 Airacobras sent from the USA to Russia directly. The P-39D-2 series had Curtiss propeller with yellow tip. Mass produced P-39 models, P-39N and P-39Q were equipped with Aeroproducts propellers, this may explain why yellow tips were relativelly rare on VVS P-39s.

Here is Pokryshkin in front of unknown P-39. The yellow tips of the prop are noticable.

Pokryshkin P-39N.jpg

Capt. I. V. Bochkov of the 19th GIAP in front of his P-400 Aircobra I number "16" in East Carelia in 1942.

Bochkov.jpg

Sgt. I. Babak's Р-39D-2 of the 45th IAP , the Spring of 1943

P-39_Aerocobra_01.jpg

P-39_Aerocobra_02.jpg

P-39L-1, 298 IAP, Kuban, Korenovskaya airfield, April 1943

P-39_Victorystars_01.jpg

And here without the yellow tips...

baranov2.jpg

dbglinka4.jpg

dbglinka5.jpg

81korobov-photo.jpg

Pilots of the 101st Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment posing in front of a Bell P-39 Airacobra in Bydgoszcz, Poland.

P-39 White 80 101 GIAP Bydgoszcz Poland.jpg

P-39N Capt N Proshenkov 69GIAP 1944

P-39 Yellow 46.jpg

P-39 Shikunov 69 GIAP

P-39 Shikunov 69 GIAP.jpg

Yep.. I would say the prop should be of the silver-grey colour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back