**** DONE: 1/48 Polikarpov I-16 - Captured / Aircraft in Foreign Service GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm also wondering what is the reason for the wire from the undercarriage housing to the centre of the wheel.

View attachment 184640

Any suggestions.

As a matter of fact, a Polikarpov I-16 have been equipped with neither an hydraulic nor electric mechanism for the main landing gear opening and retracting. It was a machinery operated manually with these steel wires. There was a crank for retracting and opening on starboard in the cockpit. A pilot needed to make 44 full rotations of the crank to retract the landing gear.

A nice progress on the model Vic. Looking very good.

I had a couple of pictures in my files that might help with placement of that wire Vic.

Attachments

• vf_i-16_49.jpg
    vf_i-16_49.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 87
  • vf_i-16_62.jpg
    vf_i-16_62.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 77
Thanks a bunch guy's.

A special thanks to you Wojetk I figured it would be something like this and after scouring the net which had the same question many times, I deduced from some of the sceptical answers that I was dealing a totally mechanical retraction mechanism.

To be honest all Russian WW2 planes were quite simple and basic equipped. As I have told you earlier a plane and its pilot were one-time weapon. When returned the base after first flight it was OK. If he did it twice he was an hero. But if he did it three times he was a suspected guy. :lol:

But why do we name MiG-29 a locomotive here in Poland...???? He, he, he...

Thanks again folks for those kind words.

Progress was good today, fiddled with the undercarriage legs, sorted out the gun sight, would you believe that it was attached to the sprue by its reflector! As it so happens the reflector was way out of proportion so cutting back and re-polishing was something that had to be done anyway.

Here is the undercarriage with all the cables attached for the retraction mechanism. Though about doing the springs, but sh!t, there is a limit......
lol-022.gif

111128-1A.jpg

You will also be pleased to know Karl that I did manage to snap the olio leg, don't ask me how, it had been off the sprue and painted a couple of days ago, I had even got the cables on with no worries. But when I looked at it later, it was fractured.

Have also been out in the shed and put some paint on the fellow, a nice bit of yellow tipping and waist belt. The underside is also in a trial pale blue, Humbrol 65 but the final underside blue will be the Soviet AMT 17.

111128-1B.jpg

111128-1C.jpg

When you mentioned that wiring I said i didn't know but thought some sort of retraction thingy sounds plausible ....as I wasn't sure better to keep your mouth shut for fear of sticking your foot in it...

Anyway making great progress Vic!

Well Wayne, my grounding wire sounded good for a time........
Vic, limits? You? I recall a roll of TP somewhere???
Be shure and lable the handle for the gear letting down thingy, eh?

Thanks ever so Wayne, Andy, Terry, Hugh and Bill.

Decided I was not happy with the yellow so did it all again, then having masked wing tips and waist band decided that didn't look right so did this again. I'm happy now so the underside blue was sprayed later this afternoon. Pictures tomorrow with luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back