**** DONE: 1/48 RAE SE.5a From WW1 to WW2 GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the vote of confidence folks. Nothing to show today, have just been figuring out where to drill holes for the rigging and then drilling. Am using a #80 drill and after a couple of hours had to give up, was getting cramp in the hands and still have loads more hole positions to locate and drill.

that cramp business is a real pain Vic, been down that path a few times, solved it by fitting the drill into a short length of brass tube which I then crimped to hold it in place as long as you dont force it, it works a treat!

Thanks Karl and Glenn.

Wayne, it's not so much the holding the drill, I have these in a pin vice, it was holding the bits in my left hand while drilling with the right, my left hand has a couple of fingers that lock on me and when tensed up holding something, it just cramps. Usually when that happens, I just drop what I'm doing and turn to something else.

As it is, not a lot to report really, have continued drilling rigging anchor holes and as they are so small, you can't get a pin through them, I'm a little concerned that they could well get clogged when painting. My solution was to cut small pieces of 30 gauge and then with a dap of UHU Glue, insert them in the holes.

Here are a few pics of the SWE.5a porcupine.

Geez, so let me get this straight!
The thingy with loop is what gets inserted into the drilled hole. Yes?
The wire goes thru the loopy thingy?
The tube thingy gets crimped to hold the wire in the loopy thingy?

So you have to trim the loopy thingy before inserting into the hole? Just long enough for the loop to be AT the hole?
Do you make up the wire with the loopy thingy on both ends BEFORE the other end is glued into the hole??? Or AFTER?

Looks dynomite......

That's about the size of it Bill, roughly speaking, though substitute glue for crimp and maybe, depending on how it all comes together, elastic wire!!..............................Oh and heaps of luck not to mention words that aren't for children's ears.

Well...thats stuffed me then...I don't have the right translation book...what did he say.....

Rigging ? Did someone say rigging ? I've never built a model that required rigging.... til now. The rigging on the F3F frightens me. But I think I have a plan. Tell you about it in my thread.

Looking good, Vic. Patience, my man. At least you don't have to poke holes in balsa for the rigging.

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread