**** DONE: 1/48 RAE SE.5a From WW1 to WW2 GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That's looking great Vic, and, I love the prop. Just check your references, as I think all SE5s had the upper-surface colour just wrapping around on the leading edges of both wings, extending around to the ailerons. Certainly the reference used for mine has it like this, but it might be a 'batch' thing, or just certain time periods.

That's looking great Vic, and, I love the prop. Just check your references, as I think all SE5s had the upper-surface colour just wrapping around on the leading edges of both wings, extending around to the ailerons. Certainly the reference used for mine has it like this, but it might be a 'batch' thing, or just certain time periods.

I've been looking real close at what I've got Terry and I recon as how you could be right. I'll have to fix that before the rigging……………………..more delays folks!!

Thanks for looking in guy, no rigging done today, domestic chores took up most of the day but I did manage to slap on some of the decals this arvo. Damn thing, a couple fractured while just cutting them from the sheet and you only had to dip them in the water and they fell off the backing. So a bit of patching had to be done so I want to get them sprayed over before going any further.

Should have some pics tomorrow.

Well, all the decals are on despite trouble with a couple of them breaking up. Luckily I had a some spare bits of white and red that I could use for patching.

20121113-1a.jpg

20121113-1b.jpg

20121113-1c.jpg

Having sorted the decals, there was nothing for it but to make a start on the rigging. The first thing was to work out how many strands I needed with those loopy thing on. I stopped counting when I got to 64 and that is not including some that I will not put them on..............................Oh well, upwards and onwards as they say.

For those wanting details I have this progressive picture tutorial.
First the tools of trade and equipment, shims, wire, a loopy thingy, tweezers, very fine drill, a #80, sharp knife and a pair of long nose pliers.

20121113-2a.jpg

One other important item is a good magnifying lamp. This one I picked up a couple of weeks back after my other one suddenly gave up the ghost.

20121113-2b.jpg

The first job is to drill out the shim, nothing drastic, the drill almost slots in but by doing so any burr on the shim is removed.

20121113-2c.jpg

This shim is then threaded onto the wire, I know it's a bit of a contradiction, but this is silver invisible thread.

20121113-2d.jpg

We follow this by threading on that loopy thingy.

20121113-2e.jpg

Now the real hard and frustrating part, thread the wire back through the shim and pull the thread into a loop around that loopy thingy.

20121113-2f.jpg

20121113-2g.jpg

Next up, crimp the shim (thanks for the idea Bill), glue tends to enlarge the shim and when being fitted to the model it is likely it will be glued anyway.

20121113-2h.jpg

Now cut off the tail end of the wire, giving a nice neat loopy thingy and shim joint for the rigging.

20121113-2i.jpg

Once one gets the hang of it and into a routine, they can be knocked out about 1 every 10 minutes.

20121113-2j.jpg

My mate Johnnie was an immense help.

20121113-2k.jpg

I'm hoping so Karl but I do have a certain amount of trepidation about the outcome. We will see, and thanks for the comment mate.

Very cool, I hate this rigging part of the build but its all fun and games :D

Your riggings came out great Vic :) Pateience is a virtue on this one :D

I would have absolutely NO CHANCE of handling those tiny things! Great work Vic - pass me the Johnnie stuff, I'm exhausted just watching!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back