**** DONE: 1/48 RAE SE.5a From WW1 to WW2 GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good work there, Vic. Gotta be careful, tho, too tight with the wiers (rhymes with pliers) and you'll bend something.

Charles

I was thinking too bad something like the shrink jackets for the wyres, rhymes with tyres, but not so strong as wyre to bend anything. Was reading about these wyre thingies, did you set the loose end, then crimp the tube to length?

I was thinking too bad something like the shrink jackets for the wyres, rhymes with tyres, but not so strong as wyre to bend anything. Was reading about these wyre thingies, did you set the loose end, then crimp the tube to length?

Haven't got very far on this yet Bill but the theory is that once I get the other end twisty wire loopy thingy secured, I just pull the wire through until the tension is just right, not loose and not tight and then add a spot of glue to set and then pull the shim up and crimp. As I say, that's the theory!!

As for the tail unit wires folks, when I took a closer look, I noticed one wire was kind of too loose and another had a very slight kink in it. Call me a fool, or a manic, or even pedantic, but I could not leave it like that, outside of that I also thought the whole rigging setup looked a bit clunky. So me being me, ripped it all out and started again.

It's taken me three days and four efforts to get things looking acceptable to me. In the end I used an even finer shim where only one wire was involved and the larger shim with the two wires where they converge, threaded through together and then crimped.

Looking at and comparing the before and after pics, I'm not sure if there is any discernible difference, but I know there is in my own gut feeling.

20121118-1b.jpg

20121118-1c.jpg

20121118-1d.jpg

Ahhhh, a labor of love.................

You must be running outa thingies by now. if you order more count me in for a couple hundred. I may be doing them over, and over, and...

Bit late I'm afraid Bill, got me a couple of packs a fortnight ago. But if I do need more, which may be likely if my idea works for I'm looking at a couple more rigging machines from the stash.

"twisty wire loopy thingy" Is that a technical term? :lol: I don't have the patience to do something like that. Very well done Vic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back